SEVEN

╚»★«╝

╚»★«╝

     Henry tried to focus on anything else other than how close Alec leaned into him as they stayed perched on the ledge leading to the roof.

They were scoping out the dark room but found nothing more than a poor, unkempt office space. A room with only a desk in the center and debris everywhere.

The smell of rot and demon filled his nostrils and he couldn't help but scrunch his nose with distaste. And he hadn't noticed, but Alec had been watching him and caught the look.

He turned to glance at Alec, who'd let out a surprising chuckle that was soft and quiet. "What?" Henry sassed, not hiding his discontent with his partner for the night.

Alec had to have picked up on his tone. Yet it didn't stop him from giving a small grin to the other. "The way you scrunched your nose is all." He nudged his own with a finger.

Henry narrowed his eyes back. "Are you making fun of me?" He fought the urge to raise his voice.

"No, I'm not, I swear." He held his hands up in defeat, but his chuckles die down when Henry scoffs and the other began to continue walking around the roof soundlessly. He watched him for a moment.

The other could feel his eyes but didn't give notice to it. He continued to run his fingers along the dusty desk as a means to preoccupy himself.

Alec sighed when the silence prevailed further. His fingers gripping the bow tighter and he shifted it into his other hand when the weight grew heavy. "Are you mad at me, or something?" He finally breaks the silence.

"Why would I be mad?" Henry said too sarcastically to be passed off as anything but.

Alec frowned his way. "You tell me," He shrugged, still lost. When the man only huffed, he faced the back of his head directly. "Henry," He called, slightly more firm this time.

Henry finally spun around with an annoyed expression. He looked ready to explode, but stopped himself, and took a deep breath to calm down.

The darkened room and silence did not help the tense atmosphere.

He decided that the other truly did not realize what was wrong, and that only irked him more. How could someone be so clueless? Looked like he had to spell it out for him.

"Back at the institute," Henry began, still glaring at the man across from him, "With Jace and I bickering, I didn't need your help to get him to back off," He stated.

Alec furrowed his brows, truly dumbfounded.

Is that what has the man in a sour mood? He didn't realize there was a problem at all, and now that he heard it, he almost wanted to laugh. But Henry wasn't joking, so he needed a little more than that.

"I'm sorry?" Alec questioned in an unsure tone.

"You still don't get it." Henry's brows raised before he chuckled wryly. "You're so clueless," He muttered as he moved to leave the room.