SIX

╚»★«╝

╚»★«╝

      Lyra's stele was wrapped in flames like sun flares, true to the Sommercrest family name. It was her fathers' stele, passed through generations, and Lyra knew that one day she would need to also pass it on.

One of the things she cherished deeply.

When the stele did its' job of activating the angelic rune on the inner part of her forearm, she safely tucked the stele into her right boot like she always did. Before she began to tug at her leather straps to ensure she had everything she'd need: sensor, witchlight, her twin sai blades tucked at her back for reach, and her stele.

Lyra nodded before she exited her room, instantly she yelped at the surprise figure standing there waiting for her. Her hand went over her heart as she took deep breaths to calm herself.

Henry leaned off the wall, amusement in his small smirk. "Fidgety over the mission, huh?" He taunted playfully.

Much like her, he was battle ready. His katana was strapped to his back, much like her sai blades, but he had more straps around his torso with smaller blades and little trinkets. His gear looked more—advanced, than her own.

"Woah." Lyra stared at the intricate engravings of gold on the handle of the katana. She almost wanted to reach out and touch it as the light bounced off the gold and called to her. She'd also eyed the characters on the side of the handle, and she wondered what the words meant to him.

To have them on his battle weapon—it must be something to the heart.

Henry knew she was staring at it and he'd turned slightly to gain her attention with his eyes again. "Hodge says we have to meet downstairs soon," He reminded. He began walking, albeit, slow so that the smaller girl could catch up to him.

"Oh," Lyra quickly closed the door behind her and hurried to catch up to his long strides. She adjusted the strap of her belt as she walked alongside him. He was taller so she strained to look up at him. "I'm pretty nervous about our first mission together. All of us," She clarified.

He had laughed, more of a chuckle. "You don't trust us to watch your back?" He taunted.

She was quickly learning that he'd like to play with her a lot. And she appreciated that someone wasn't as cutthroat as the others around here.

"It's not that." Lyra turned slightly serious as she leaned closer to him, both of them nodding at another who'd walked passed them. "We don't work well together. Our training sessions have been more arguing than cooperating."

"Not for lack of trying." Henry slid his hands in his pockets in a relaxed posture. His expression turned annoyed for a moment, before he glanced at her with seriousness. "Look, just stick with me. The three of them can hold hands and walk down the yellow brick road. You and me, we got this." He nodded that he wasn't messing around this time. "You watch my back, I'll watch yours."