SIXTEEN

╚»★«╝

╚»★«╝

Jace wouldn't say that he hated Downworlders. He, too, divulged in the occasional hook-up with a Seelie here or there, or went out for a crazy night in the city with a wolf. Not to mention, it was kind of a 'go without saying' that Shadowhunters just did not get along with Downworlders because of the Accords and all that.

With all of this in mind, though, he definitely decided that he hated Cal the werewolf with a burning rage.

He had made some comment that Jace didn't even care to listen to. Whatever it was, he didn't think it had to be that funny anyway. So, he didn't like how Lyra was giggling and all smiley with Cal, as the two walked a step or two in front of Jace. He wanted to be literally anywhere else rather than here listening to Cal flirt with Lyra for the past five minutes.

In reality, Lyra being the oblivious little thing she was, was only half-listening to Cal. She was really thinking about this date that Jace had promised her more than anything. Excited for the night ahead as long as they finished this mission perfectly without any mishaps, which she prayed to the angel Raziel would go perfectly.

With everything going on in her life, she needed a win. Just one.

They came upon the Jade Wolf near the port storage. Cal stopped, and Lyra did too, which was the only reason that Jace begrudgingly stood beside her instead of walking ahead.

"This is me," Cal pointed behind to the rundown Chinese restaurant, grinning at Lyra, "It was really nice to see you again, Lyra."

She nodded in agreement. "You, too. You don't have to be a stranger, though," She added with a friendly smile.

"Then I will see you later." He glanced at Jace and both boys glared at one another. "Hopefully without your bodyguard," He added the insult.

Jace opened his mouth to make a snide remark, but Cal was already walking inside while throwing a wave behind his shoulder. Thus, he glowered at the building with clenched fists. "I hate that guy," He remarked in a low voice, before turning to Lyra, "And you should stay away from him. I don't trust him."

Lyra blushed at his protectiveness. "Cal seems like a nice guy," She stated.

"He drugged you," Jace countered angrily.

"Actually, I took that drink on my own," She gave him an amused laugh as she poked his chest like she did earlier in a playful manner, "I'm just being nice to him. We don't always have to be the lawful soldiers around downworlders. We can be friends with them, too," She shrugged.

Jace looked at her with a frown. "That's not my problem," He grumbled, "I can have fun, too. I just don't like him because he..." Because he flirts with you, he wanted to say, but he stopped himself. Instead, he kept brooding which only made Lyra laugh further.