TWENTYEIGHT

ACT THREE: EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD

╚»★«╝

Sneaking into the office of the Head of the Institute surely broke many laws. However, those laws seemed meager in the grand scheme of things, better yet, it had been worth it with what Lyra had found.

Her friends and her were a team, and she trusted them...to a certain extent.

Alec and Isabelle's parents were the acting Heads, therefore, of course they would both be a little biased about her breaking into their parents office. That was what was expected. Which is why, she did not go to them immediately whenever she had escaped any wandering eyes.

Her first instinct was to go to Henry with her information, but he was nowhere to be found after the meeting and all. Then she and Isabelle saw him push Alec out of his room while yelling, before he firmly slammed the door shut in his face. That was an awkward interaction in which Alec had snapped at them too, before leaving and Isabelle had gone after her brother.

This left only one person whom she could go to; Jace.

When she had found him, he was heading for his room after a quick workout in the gym. And thus, the first she did was tackle him into one of the random rooms they passed, and shut the door. Jace stumbled forward but caught himself, cursing and turning to look at his assailant, only to find it was Lyra. And his brows furrowed at her panicked expression.

"What did you go?" He already asked her, before she had even turned to him.

When she did, Lyra was breathless from her running. She swept a hand through her hair and shook her head. "Nothing too illegal, I think," She huffed for a few more minutes and luckily Jace waited for her to get her bearings patiently, "I snuck into Maryse's office," She revealed.

Jace's eyes went wide. "What?!" He scanned her for a quick moment. "Why would you do that? If you would have gotten caught, with all this deviant stuff going around, she would have-"

"It doesn't matter now, I didn't get caught!" Lyra walked forward while fishing the paper out of her back pocket. "Look at this," She hurried. Showing him the paper with the name Sanguis Angeli branded onto the page with runes etched all around the page.

Jace saw the title first, which is why he glanced up at her in disbelief. "This is about the necklace," He paused to read the tiny words written.

Lyra watched his expression as he did so. Her heart racing. "It's some type of contract of sorts signed by my parents, from the Clave, when they first became acting Heads of the Institute back at my home. It talks about as Sommercrests, we have a bloodrite to protect the artifact at all costs, til our deaths and could pass it on to the next of kin. But look here..." She pointed to a single line near the bottom of the page, reading it aloud.