Chapter 5

Kawaki's POV

"Just go," I tell him.

"Kawaki, I can't leave you like that," he insists.

"You can and you always did and that's the reason why mom died!" I yell at him.

I received a slap from my father.

I can tell that my face turned awfully red by his slap but that doesn't make me waver. I keep my chest hard. He is the reason why mom died. It is because of his ignorance of his family that killed my mother and I can't forgive him for that.

Instead of arguing with him, I run away from home. I can still hear him called out to me but I didn't turn my back and keep running away from the darkness of my life. I think my life has ended too when mom died. She is the only one I have yet she had to die.

She had heart disease and it became malignant as the days passed by without telling me nor my father. She bears all of the burdens alone not to make us worry. My father is busy at work and barely comes home to check on us.

Yes, he could bring us delicious foods to the table, buy us decent clothes and provide all our needs but what we needed most are his time and attention and he failed to give us that.

I needed to live alone most of the time. I learned to cook, wash the dishes, wash my clothes, and clean the house at a very young age. Well, I have to, I don't have anyone to rely on with such things. It's fine if my father is at home but much better if he is not. He only reminds me of my mother's death.

I was in sixth grade when my mother died. I went to school because I need to not because want to. I failed all my subjects because I did not study my lessons much and got depressed about my mother's sudden death. My teachers were worried but I did not care about them at all. I almost dropped the sixth grade, but they passed me because of their sympathy over my mother's demise.

It's pointless to go to school if nobody is going to welcome you when you get home and nobody will praise you when you get high scores on an exam. My life is meaningless without mom. How I wish I died too. Life is so cruel to me and it's very unfair. Some kids have their parents with them and I don't have mine anymore.

"Oh, this poor little orphan. HAHAHAHA!" a bully is laughing at me making fun of my life being all alone.

It was in seventh grade.

My mother taught me not to engage in any useless fights with my classmates or schoolmates. A good boy or student doesn't make fights with others and knows how to forgive those who have done him wrong, that is what she usually says to me.

My mom was so kind but why would she die before those evil people? I kept asking myself that but I couldn't get an answer.

"Did you engage in a fight again? How many times do I have to tell you to stay away from trouble? You are wasting my time, Kawaki. My time is paid and you wasted that money on this pointless fight you had with your schoolmates," he is scolding me.

"Then go why did you even come?" I say in a sarcastic tone.

"Why are you talking to me that way? I never teach you to be rude," he almost yells at me.

"Teach me? What? I never learned anything from you," I retaliate.

"You!" he is about to slap me again but he stops.

"Once you have done this again, I won't send you to school anymore."

Does he even know that I like that idea? School is full of shit!