Chapter 37

Kawaki's POV

Today marks the first day of our Christmas break and I am cooking for breakfast as usual.

Meow... Meow...

That sound stops me from my tracks and looks from where the sound is coming from.

It's Kiwi.

I brought him home after that incident when he was almost harmed by those bastards. Kiwi loves being around me. Now, he lives with me and I am not alone anymore.

"Hey, your food will be served soon. Be patient, okay?" I rub his white fur and he is being clingy again. He keeps wagging off his tail around my leg and keeps his cute little meows. I can't help but look at him from time to time.

After I made an omelet, I bring the fresh milk out of the refrigerator to give Kiwi a drink. He enjoys the milk and I happily watch him lick the last drop of it. He meows again like telling me he is finally full and rubs his soft white fur against my leg. I can't help myself but pet him as I sit on the floor.

A creaking sound echoes the house. Someone's coming in I thought. I think he is home. I ignore it and return to pet Kiwi. I know it's him.

"Kawaki," he calls out to me while he is in the living room. I did not respond and remained silent. Footsteps coming near the kitchen and he sees me sitting on the floor petting a cat.

"What the heck are you doing?" he freaks out after seeing the cat on my lap. I coldly stare at him and he sighs in defeat.

"Get up. Where did you get the cat?" he asks while crossing his arms.

"It's none of your concern," I tell him and he moves his arms to his side.

"You should not respond to me that way, Kawaki. You know I don't like pets in the house because they are a mess but look at what you brought in here," he scolds me but I don't care about what he says.

"But Kiwi is not a mess," I reason out and he shakes his head.

"You have to make sure it won't cause too much trouble in the house or else I will be the one to kick that out from here," he warns me but I ignore him.

"So, you come home just to remind me that? Tch!" I think I sound sarcastic but who cares?

"I come home to check on you," he answers and I chuckle.

"What for? You don't have to worry about me I can take care of myself," I retaliate and he clears his throat.

"Kawaki, when do you plan on changing that smart-mouth of yours?" he asks impatiently.

"I don't intend to," he breathes heavily after hearing my reply and sits on the chair. Kiwi is frightened by his presence and he runs away from us. I get up from the floor and remove his remaining fur from my pants.

"Go get a shower and we will do shopping today," he commands and I tilt my head to confirm that he is serious about it.

"I don't want to come. Just go alone," I say and I turn my back at him and he groans.

"I don't know what to say to you. You always disagree with whatever I tell you," he complains. The heck is this stupid old man wants from me?

"As I said, you can go alone. I'm not coming," I refuse again and he did not make a sound for a second.

"I requested a leave from work today to spend the day with you yet you don't want to come with me," does he want me to have a change of heart?

"I wonder what happened and you thought of silly things today," I say trying to ignore his invitation.

"It's not a silly thing. We haven't gone out for a while now and besides, Christmas day is coming. Haven't you thought of buying things for that special day?" he is acting weird today, seriously. We had not celebrated Christmas for how many years now and I'm used to it.