Beginnings.

Calypso's heart felt like it was about to break through her chest and fly far away.

She stood in front of a growing crowd. Most of them looked to be in their early twenties, and most of them looked like the typical writer or aspiring artist. There were a few girls who looked unbothered by her performance, and she nervously chewed on her bottom lip till it hurt.

"Relax, Cal. We're doing good,"

One of her best friends, Angela, whispered in her ear. Angela had a bright smile on her face, always being the positive one of the group.

Calypso only nodded her head and turned around to the rest of her bandmates. Jack, the drummer and her best friend since second grade, threw her a quick thumbs up. She looked at Avery, a blonde who winked and nodded at her.

Her group of friends were her haven and as she received nods of approval and reassurance from them, she felt her muscles relax and a little of her anxiety slipped from her.

"Folks, this next song might hit home for some of you. It's originally written by me about a recent heartbreak I got. So, enjoy my heartbreak, I guess,"

The crowd broke into soft giggles at that, and when the soft thumping of the drums started, Angela's voice wafted through the air in soft melodies.

Calypso then got the silent signal from Angela - a nod. She strummed the strings on her guitar and suddenly felt all her anxiety melt away. Calypso's soft voice added to Angela's raspy but gentle one, and Avery joined in on the bridge.

Angela's voice then broke, and all eyes snapped to her. Calypso watched as her bottom lip quivered while she sang the song of her ex-girlfriend who cheated on her.

Avery then appeared behind her and held her shoulder, never being one for physical touch but she and all of us knew this was the hardest thing for her. Avery and Angela were sisters, twins. They were best friends, two of the closest people Calypso has ever met.

Angela looked at Calypso for support, and she meekly nodded. Calypso loved being the lead singer of the band, but it was times like these that she despised. They always felt puny to Angela, her being short and blonde, skin tan and kind. Calypso was the opposite, dark purple hair and acne scars stood at a tall five foot seven. Her voice was nothing compared to Angela's. It was soft and she had to push herself to sing louder so the crowd could hear her, while Angela's voice made a statement wherever she went. It wasn't the deepest, but it had a rasp to it.

Calypso took over from Angela while her sister turned her back to the crowd, shielding her from the curious gazes.

"Now, that was Traitor by Angela. We have a new single we'd like you to hear, and it's quite the song. Thanks to the sisters and myself, we put our teen drama into a very lovely song, if I do say so myself. Everybody, I'd like to present you Brutal, by The Dreamers,"

Once the crows started clapping, Calypso locked her lips and walked to the two twins.

"Okay?"

Angela only nodded and took a sip from her water bottle. When Avery found her spot at her mic again, Calypso switched her acoustic guitar to an electric one, the one her father bought her when she was ten.

It was a crisp white, with blue swirls everywhere. She smiled at the crowd, and she followed behind the two twins when they started playing.

Meanwhile, someone in the crowd could take his eyes from Calypso. Her purple hair made her stand out from the group. James took a sip from his whiskey on rocks, purely captivated by the girl. Her face contorted in pure ecstasy as her voice rang through his ears. She smiled while she sang, and her voice. God, her voice.