Promises.

TW: violence

Calypso woke up with the sun.

Her covers smelled of her, and she snuggled up further into them. Her dogs layed with her, Hades staring at her with big brown eyes.

The day after the bar, Calypso, Avery and Angela had driven back to Manhattan with Eddie. She didn't say a word to James as she packed, didn't bid him a goodbye, just a silent nod and her eyes glued to the floor.

She'd been home for two days now, simply just spending time with her dogs and Jack, and she had visited her father when she got back.

She didn't mention James to him, although he had practically begged her but she just gave him a silent shake of her head. James and the girl hadn't spoken since she got back, and her heart ached for him.

She kept busy in the two days she was home, cleaning and painting whenever she thought about James. She slowly started getting him out of her head, but then she started painting blue oceans and playing songs he played in his car.

But, as Calypso smiled at the sun and stretched her legs, he wasn't the first thing she thought about anymore. And so, with that, she jumped from her bed and walked to her kitchen, the morning sun warming the room.

She fed herself and her dogs, and watched the sun from her fire escape. She didn't forget about her heartache, but she merely ignored it for the time being. She lit a cigarette, staring at the packet.

It was James'. He left it here when he stayed over, and she had put it into her bookshelf, keeping it from her sight. But, she saw it and smiled solemnly. She missed the way he smelled, and so she lit one and took a drag.

Calypso had work at nine, and she was dressed and ready at seven. She pulled on a black blazer, and her usual black bootleg trousers. Avery had bought her a pair of heeled boots, and she smiled as she put them on.

Standing at a proud five foot eight now, Calypso smiled at herself in the mirror. She had missed work, and she was more than excited to get back.

And then, her phone rang on her kitchen counter. Jogging over to it, she took it and slid her finger over the screen.

"Hey, Amy!" She greeted warmly. Amy was a college friend of Calypso's and the two shared a dorm together.

"Hey, Cal! How are you?"

Calypso leaned against the counter, taking a drag from her cigarette, "Good! You?" Amy was silent for a second, "Yeah, I'm good! Did you hear about that Dudley guy?"

Almost like she was electrocuted, Calypso paled. She swallowed hard, "No?" She said, her voice shaking. Thousands of possibilities ran through her brain, and she momentarily forgot how to breathe.

"He got arrested yesterday," She said, almost nonchalantly. Calypso's heart skipped a beat, and she felt awful for being relieved that it was just that.

But then, she frowned hard, "For?" Amy hummed, "Assault with a deadly weapon I think. Yeah, and apparently no one wants to take his case with all his past convictions, it'll be really hard to not get him life in prison,"

Calypso's heart beat in her ears, and she looked down at her hand and saw she was shaking, and she chewed on her lip.

"Amy, I gotta go," She mumbled, and pressed the red button. Her knees felt weak under her, and then her phone rang again.

Avery's name flashed across the screen, and she swiped her thumb over it, "Aves-" She began, but Avery cut her off, "I know, baby. It's okay," Calypso's bottom lip quivered, and she sighed, "Tell me what to do, please," She whispered, and Avery sighed too, "Do what you need to do, babes. I'll help where I can,"