Confessions.

Mention of domestic violence.

Calypso's back collided with the wall, her eyes wide and burning with tears as she stared at James. He stood from his seat at the desk, his own eyes clouding with tears.

"Baby, let me explain," He said, his voice shaky. Calypso shook her head. She stared at him, not a word spoken. It felt like her world had split into two, and her mom split along with it. She didn't recognise the man that stood before her, and she grew afraid the longer she looked at him.

Her heart thudded against her ribcage, threatening to break through if she didn't do something quickly. And so, she whispered, "Get out,"

James face contorted into pain, and when he reached for her, she winced. His heart shuddered, and rose up to his throat. He felt the first tear escape from his eye as he whispered back, "Please,"

She shook her head again, her own eyes betraying her as the tears rolled down her sunburnt cheeks.

"I have never been scared of you, James-" She muttered, her hands balling into fists, "But there's a first time for everything," She concluded, her chest rising and falling quickly. She grew more afraid by the second, and she told him to leave again, and to her surprise, the man straightened his back, clenched on his jaw and walked to the door. He opened it, and slammed it shut and when he did, Calypso's heart finally let go of its last chip, and she melted to her knees, her sobs racking through her body.

She clutched her mouth shut, and her chest hurted with how hard she sobbed. She stared down at her hand, and when she noticed the shaking, she wept even harder.

James had gone downstairs, down to his study. He stared out of the window, his eyes dull and lifeless and a half-full whiskey glass in his hand. His tears had stopped, but when he heard his butterfly weep from upstairs, he felt warm tears run down his cheeks again.

Then, the switch in his brain flipped, and his once throbbing head stopped, and his muscles moved on their own accord, and the whiskey glass flew across the room. James hadn't had such a bad outburst since before he went to prison, and his old memories and instincts bled back into his veins, mixing with his now common sense and strict discipline, overtaking it.

He lowered back onto the wall, and he tugged on his locks, muttering old words from his father and mother to himself, things they'd say to tick him off, things he had started believing about himself.

It was when he heard the front door slam shut that his head cleared up, and his legs carried him out of his study and to the front door. He opened it, and watched as his butterfly, with lilac hair and sunburnt cheeks flew from him, not sparing him a glance.

Calypso pulled open the door and slid in, her eyes burning and red from her tears. Eddie smiled at her, "You okay?" He asked, sincerity laced within his words. She merely nodded, looking through the window.

As the two drove into the city and towards his apartment, Calypso thought about everything, except her sun. She didn't need to cry infront of Eddie, and much less infront of the guests. The Summer air cleared up her head as she rolled the window down, and the tears that did spill were quickly dried.

They stopped infront of his building, and as she stepped from the car, her phone vibrated in her pocket. Taking it out, her chin quivered at the name, and she slid her thumb over the screen.

"James-"

"Please, come back,"

Her eyes squeezed shut, and she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, biting on it. Her heart hurted, and she felt the bruises developing on it. And so, she said, "I can't be with someone like you,"