17. Harlan's pancakes

The morning jogs had taken an immediate pause after the last one. Instead I was forcing myself to stay in bed and get that extra sleep or in today's case just extra time laying in bed with my eyes closed. Time that was quickly interrupted by banging on my front door.

I had a feeling I knew exactly who it was. I hadn't been checking my phone and I knew Jade had probably tried calling or at least sent me a few dozen texts.

I rolled out of bed looking down at my attire. It was a long t shirt I had gotten while in college. It had the stupid school mascot printed right in the middle of my chest. I wasn't wearing any pants but at the moment I didn't really care so I just watched to the door and swung it open.

While I had figured it was my best friend at the door the one thing I hadn't considered was that her husband would be with her. Suddenly I was very aware of the fact that even if this shirt was long it was still showing off more leg than I would ever feel comfortable showing Kieran. And with the fact that my hand was raised slightly as I held the door open the shirt was riding up my right thigh and becoming much more scandalous than I would like.

"Kieran brought food to cook us a mean breakfast and I brought mimosas." Jade held up the champagne and orange juice with a smile on her face.

Kieran was standing behind her looking slightly uncomfortable and out of place. I had a feeling he was dragged here instead of tagging along willingly.

"Well I guess you guys can come in. I should probably put some pants on." I stepped aside letting the married couple inside.

"Kieran start cooking I'm going to help Ava pick out an outfit." Jade out the two bottles down and basically pushed me into my room.

"I don't need help with an outfit, it's breakfast with you and Kieran. I'm not even leaving my apartment. Also surprisingly I did learn to dress myself as a child." I gave my best friend a questioning look.

"I'm not here to dress you. I'm here so you can tell me what the fuck is going on with you." She crossed her arms giving me a all business no fun type of look.

"My dad is getting married. I got the invitation a few days ago." I confessed.

"Well shit. Maybe I should've brought something a little stronger than champagne." Jade sighed walking over and pulling me into a hug.

"It's going to be shit but I'm not going alone. Harlan is going to be my plus one." I said in a rush.

"I feel like I missed a few parts of the story." Jade just blinked at me.

"Just as friends nothing else. I needed a ride he came and got me and then we just got to talking I mentioned the wedding and he said if I needed someone to go with he'd go with me. So yeah nothing crazy just taking him so I don't have to do this whole thing alone." I brushed it off.

I didn't need to dive into all my confused feelings about Harlan with Jade. She knew how messy this whole thing was and at the moment I wanted so distraction from all that.

"Well you know I would've gone with you. Kieran could always use a night by himself. Actually that's probably a lie, he loves spending his nights with me. The one thing I hadn't expected about marriage was the fact that Kieran just hears the word wife and his dick gets hard." Jade seemed to understand my want of distraction and even though hearing about Kieran's dick was not exactly what I wanted to listen to I was thoroughly distracted.

"Am I going to have to worry that you two are going to try to fuck in the middle of breakfast?" I asked raising my eyebrows.

"No we already had sex before coming over." She winked.

I just shook my head. Those two were seriously a lot. I loved them but they were very into each other.

"As much as I rather not listen to you brag about all the sex you are getting I can't deny that I'm insanely jealous. I miss sex. With all the stress in my life it would be so nice to be with someone to help alleviate some of that with." I sighed.

I didn't miss my relationship with Liam. We weren't even officially dating but being with someone was nice. I missed sleeping next to someone and I did seriously miss having sex.

"You're going to find someone special and I have a gut feeling it might happen sooner than you think." Jade just squeezed my shoulder before turning and walking back towards her husband.

I took the time alone in my room to get changed and make myself semi presentable before joining the couple in my kitchen.

I walked in to see a spread of pancakes.

"Wow Jade is one lucky lady." I gazed at the food Kieran made and I could feel my stomach grumbling.

It all not only looked good but my kitchen smelled the best it had in awhile. I missed having fresh food in my apartment. I hadn't been cooking as much lately and even freshly made pancakes seemed like a treat after too many night of take out and frozen dinners.

"They're just pancakes." Kieran laughed stacking up and plate and passing it to me.

"You don't get it. All I need in life is someone to make me pancakes for breakfast in the morning. They are the superior breakfast food." I cut myself a piece and shoved my mouth with a heavenly bite.

I think if I could I would marry pancakes and be forever content.

"Pancakes are the way to your heart? I'll have to keep that in mind." Kieran sat down across from me.

"Why? You trying have sister wives?" I joked.

"No but I might know a guy who makes a good pancake." He just grinned at me.

"I know all the people you know." I shot back.

"Yeah you do." He nodded.

Realization hit me suddenly. I should've known that Kieran would be talking about him. But it didn't matter because I definitely didn't want Harlan's pancakes.

Ok maybe I did.