7. My hotel room

I let out a soft groan as I turned on the hard surface. I rubbed my eyes and could feel the makeup still caked on my face. I could only imagine how awful I looked at this moment.

"Good morning sleeping beauty."

My eyes snapped open to see Harlan standing above me.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned last night's events still hazy.

"It's my hotel room." He laughed.

I tried to recall all the events from the night before. How had I ended up in a room with Harlan?

I remembered dancing, a lot. First with Jade and then Kieran swept her away and Harlan was there. Then I remember the next round of drinks, then the shots I took with Harlan.

The last thing I remembered was Liam's angry face and an argument that I couldn't exactly remember what it was about.

"You really made me sleep on this gross floor?" I frowned pushing myself up to stand.

"I didn't make you do anything. I offered to let you share the bed with me but you got mad at me for that. Said you weren't going to let me trick you into bed with me." Harlan explained.

"And I stand by that, I won't be letting you try to get me into bed, it's never happening." Even as I said the words it felt wrong.

If I knew it wouldn't destroy me I'd let Harlan do whatever he wanted with me. But I knew better, it would crush my heart to have to part with him the next day. One taste and I'd be even more gone than I already was. It was better to keep him at arm's length and hope that the feelings finally disappear for good.

I had thought it happened but I knew how I felt after yesterday. Seeing him, being around him again changed everything. I had gone back in time and was under his spell yet again.

The rush of realization hit me like a wall. I was stupid to let myself feel this again. Moving on was easy when I never saw him but standing in front of him, looking in his eyes, hearing his voice it felt impossible to move on from him.

What was so special about Harlan Shepard anyway?

"I'm leaving," I said grabbing my phone off the bedside table.

"Come on I thought we'd go and get some breakfast." He stepped in front of me keeping me from escaping.

"Why? Why would I do that? We aren't friends Harlan. We aren't anything. I don't remember all that happened last night but let's just forget it all and we can just go back to never talking to each other ever again." I shoved past him.

I couldn't move on if he was around. I apparently didn't get enough space from him the first time to finally diminish these feelings.

"What did I do? You didn't always hate me like this." I didn't have to turn around to know he was frowning.

"Goodbye Harlan," I said softly before walking out of the room.

It hurt to push him away. I wish I didn't have to. I wish I could turn around and be with him but I couldn't. I couldn't get my heart broken again. Harlan had hurt me one too many times. I don't think my heart would be able to survive it again.

I could feel my eyes starting to tear up. It was too much being around him. Harlan always brought such an emotional reaction out of me. He was a drug. My whole body craved him, one look, one second and I needed more. Nothing seemed to ever be enough but at the same time, he was dangerous. If I wasn't careful he'd kill me.

When I made it to the lobby I saw Jade. She was at the breakfast buffet Kieran wrapped around her as they filled up a plate of food for the both of them.

"How does it feel to be married?" I asked walking up to them.

Jade turned around a huge smile on her face.

"Like a dream, I don't want to wake up from." I watched as she leaned into her husband.

"How are you?" Kieran questioned.

"I'm fine just slightly hung over." I waved them off.

"Have something to eat, it'll help." Jade grabbed me a plate.

"I thought you were going back last night with Liam. I didn't think we'd see you this morning." Kieran stated.

While Jade was my best friend Kieran was always the observant one. He remembered the little things and he had no issue in pointing out when he thought something was wrong. I had a feeling he could tell something was up with me.

"Liam and I got into a fight. Harlan let me crash on his floor." I explained.

"His floor?? That's very generous of him." Kieran shook his head a slight smile on his face.

"I'm sorry about Liam." Jade frowned.

"No, you're not." I chuckled.

Jade hated him and I knew the fact that he probably wasn't going to talk to me after yesterday was not something that upset her.

"I just want you to be happy and if this thing with Liam makes you genuinely happy then I want it for you." She told me.

I knew Liam wasn't the guy for me so I wasn't too worked up about it. We weren't even really together. My head was more stuck on Harlan than anyone else.

"Thanks, Jade, I think I'm going to go home but have fun on your honeymoon and send me lots of pictures." I gave them both a hug.

"When I get back we should get together and have a chat," Jade said giving me a look I knew well.

Jade was the only one to know about my feelings for Harlan. She was the only one to know how yesterday could've affected me. I loved her but I was sick of talking about Harlan.

I just wanted to move on and get him out of my head.

A/n:

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh