37. The best birthday ever

"Happy birthday beautiful." Harlan said softly his head pressed into the crook of my neck.

"Morning." I smiled and hugged my boyfriends body against my own.

"Ready for the big day?" He looked up at me.

"What my birthday? Of course it happens every year." I teased.

"I love you." He leaned over and pressed his lips against mine.

Kissing Harlan was always the best way to start my mornings. He was mine, soon to be official.

I had to remind myself a few times last night that this was the right thing. It was what I wanted and I knew Harlan wanted it too but I couldn't help but think of everyone else. They probably wanted something else, something more.

But this wasn't about anyone else but Harlan and I.

"I love you so much." I beamed at him.

"Don't try to one up me Mrs. Shepard." He glared at me playfully.

"You wish I was Mrs. Shepard." I laughed.

"Mmm yes I do. Ava Shepard, you know it has a sexy ring to it." He leaned down to kiss me again.

I couldn't agree more. I was itching to finally be Ava Shepard. It was going to be a dream come true.

"What if I didn't want to change my name?" I questioned.

"I'd change mine so we match. I love Ava Martin almost as much as I love Ava Shepard. The difference is so small you won't even be able to tell don't worry." He teased.

"Well you don't have to worry about it because I want to have your last name."

"You know you don't have to if that's something you want. All I care about is being with you." He said seriously.

"Harlan, my last name is not mine, it's my dads. He's done nothing to be apart of my life and I'll be happy to get rid of that final tie to him."

I didn't really know why I had never changed my last name over the years. I think I was trying to hold onto my dad even when I shouldn't have.

Harlan didn't respond he just pulled me closer to him and buried his face in my neck. I felt like my heart was going to burst, I loved this man so much I didn't think I'd ever get enough of him. And apparently he couldn't get enough of me either. When he shifted I felt something poking at my thigh and I had to hold back a chuckle.

"Harlan really?" I look down at his growing bulge.

"I was just think about you being my wife and it does things to me I can't help it." He pressed his lips against mine kissing me in a much more heated way than he had all morning.

I wasn't complaining. I parted my lips and let his tongue enter my mouth. I relished in the feeling of his hands on my body and they slipped under my shirt.

Thinking about being his wife did things to me too.

"This is the best day of my entire life!" Jaxon yelled as he jumped up and down excitedly.

I looked over at Harlan and he just rolled his eyes.

"It's the best day of your life?" I asked him.

"Umm yes. Do you even understand how exciting this is?" He stared at me with wide eyes.

"I think we understand Jaxon considering it's us that's getting married." Harlan laughed.

"Oh shut it." Jaxon waved off his best friend.

"I actually have something for you. Consider it a birthday gift." Harlan told me before running off to his old room.