38. Surprise

"Let me go!" I squealed out.

Harlan laughed loudly behind me carrying me through the apartment.

"Stop! We are going to be late." I tried to wiggle away from him.

"My sister can wait. I want my wife to myself just a little longer." He didn't let me go and brought all the way back to our bedroom.

"We have plans Harlan." I turned and smacked his arm once he planted me back onto the ground.

"Come on, doesn't laying in bed all morning with your amazing husband sound like heaven?" He tried to tempt me.

"We should really go on a honeymoon." Alone time seemed really nice actually.

I wouldn't be persuaded back into bed though. We had spent plenty of time in it already since we got married. It would be nice to be able to go out and see my best friend and finally be able to share the news.

"Say the word and I'll have it all booked and ready to go. Anything for you Ava." He smiled at me before leaning down to press his lips against mine.

It was hard not to melt against him. The love I felt in every look, every kiss. It was suffocating, in all the best ways.

I didn't think I'd ever love anyone as much as I loved Harlan and I never thought I'd feel that love reciprocated.

"I love you but we actually have to go," I told my husband.

"You know next time we get married we are not having plans with my sister the next day. How did we make that mistake twice?" He teased.

"It's tradition now." I joked.

"Worst tradition ever." He grumbled as he followed me out of the apartment.

I just rolled my eyes. Yes that was the man I loved.

"Happy birthday!" Jade yelled the second she saw me rushing over and pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Did you have a good day yesterday? I hope my brother didn't screw it up." She gave Harlan a look.

"Hey! I'm great at planning perfect birthdays." He objected.

"It was the best birthday ever." I beamed up at him.

"Sure was." He wrapped an arm around my waist pulling me into his chest.

"I'm glad you two had a good-,"

"What the hell is on your finger?!" Jade interrupted her husband.

Jade reached out and yanked my hand towards her face and just stared at the rings that sat there.

"Surprise!" I laughed nervously, I had no clue how Jade would react.

"You're kidding." Kieran said softly looking at not only my ring but the one on Harlan's finger.

"You guys got married without telling me....again?!" Jade screeched.

"It's kinda our thing." Harlan shrugged.

"Well I'm happy for you guys." Kieran grinned.

Jade just stood there staring at us in shock. I could tell she needed a second to process the whole thing.

"Jade I'm sorry I didn't tell you but it was something we wanted to do just the two of us. Neither of us wanted a whole big thing." I explained.

"You don't have to be sorry. I'm really happy for you two. All I've ever wanted was for you two to be happy. I just wish I was able to be there and see it." Tears were welling up in her eyes.

"You can hang on." Harlan dug for his phone. "Jaxon recorded the whole thing."

"You invited Jaxon and not us?" Jade asked.

"We needed a witness and well we knew you'd try to convince us to invite everyone and make it a bigger deal than we wanted it to be." I argued.

"Fine but at least let me throw you guys a party or something." Jade tried to compromise.

"Isn't this sort of like a celebratory meal?" Harlan questioned.

"I mean like a real party, all the family and everyone." My best friend explained.

"I can invite Nate and Maddie to come down for a weekend." Kieran pitched in.

"See it'll be fun to get everyone together." Jade beamed.

She wasn't going to take no for an answer. I didn't really feel like it was something I wanted. While I used to be into partying and having fun I didn't know how much I wanted a party that was all about me. Other people's parties, amazing, one for me, not so much.

"Fine but you are planning everything." I caved.

Jade grinned wildly. I was slightly surprised at how quickly she seemed to be excited and dropped the whole getting married without telling her. It wasn't like I was looking for drama but I slightly expected it from my best friend. Jade was the type of person to want to whole wedding and all the extras and while she got that for herself she never seemed to be able to understand when other people didn't share those desires.

"I have to go to the bathroom. Ava come with and make sure I don't fall in." She grabbed my hand.

"Falling in? Is that a real concern? You know I've just been letting you-," Kieran started looking slightly concerned for his pregnant wife but stopped when Jade glared at him.

"We will be back." Jade dragged me towards the restrooms.

"Finally got sick of Kieran's craziness?" I joked.

"Don't even get me started. I went to take the trash out yesterday and he almost had a heart attack." She just shook her head.

"It's your first kid he's scared of something happening. By baby number five he'll be the most chill person ever."

"Shit you're distracting me." Jade seemed to snap herself back into focus. "I didn't drag you away to talk about my crazy husband, I want to talk about yours."

"What about Harlan?" I questioned.

"Let's start with What The Fuck!" She emphasized the last three words.

"I thought you were happy?"

Here was the dramatics I had been waiting for. I knew I wouldn't get away without them.

"I am. I love you both. However I just want to make sure you're happy. I know how my brother can be and he tends to steamroll himself into things. He's impulsive and stubborn. When he came home from spring break and told my mom you two had gotten drunkly married she didn't even bat an eye because it was just something you'd expect from him. Harlan just does things without really thinking sometimes and I just want to make sure this isn't one of those times. I need to know that this was something you both wanted equally."

"I love Harlan and I have for years. It seems fast I know and getting married without telling anyone seems ridiculous but it was perfect for us. I don't need all the extra things, I just need him." I said truthfully.

Jade seemed to let my answer stir in her brain for a few seconds before responding.

"I'm glad you're happy Ava. I hope you know that's all I've ever wanted for you." She reached forward and pulled me into a hug.

"I love you Jade." I squeezed my best friend.

"I love you too."

A/n:

I'm honestly so happy with how this story is turning out and every time I have an update to post I'm just so excited to share it with you. I want you all to be able to have the rest of the story right now but I'm working on some other things at the moment and I need the time to be able to have those things ready when this book finishes. If I didn't need to do that then I would have just posted all the chapters in like daily uploads or something. I'm not very patient haha.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!

-Cora Leigh