33. I'm pregnant

When there was knocking on my door I had found myself hoping it was Harlan. Even though I knew it wasn't. Harlan had decided to spend the night at his place, apparently Jaxon got lonely. I had a feeling it was more about not wanting to crowd me.

I had been a little bit nervous and had kept trying to slow down his ideas for a sped up relationship. When he talked about living together I had quickly pulled the brakes. I wanted to move in with Harlan but it seemed too quick. Normal people didn't do relationships like this. It usually took months for couples to even think about living together. I was just trying to keep us at a normal pace.

Harlan didn't seem all that concerned with what was normal. But I just didn't want to mess this up.

I opened the door to see my best friend, that part was completely normal. The part that alarmed me was the her panicked expression and the signs she had obviously been crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked ushering her in.

"I'm pregnant."

The words that tumbled out of her mouth shocked me more than seeing her show up all distressed. I had expected Jade to get pregnant at some point, she wanted kids and now that her and Kieran were married I thought it'd happen. So now hearing the words matched with panic and crying threw me off. I sort of expected her to be overjoyed.

"And that's a bad thing?" I questioned not really understanding her freak out yet.

"No it's not a bad thing exactly. I mean don't you think it's a little fast? Kieran and I are so young and I know we got married and I love him but I don't know if I'm ready for this." She rambled.

"You are going to be an amazing mom Jade. I know it's scary because it's all quick but you and Kieran are going to work it all out together. What did he say when you told him?"

"I haven't. I sort of ran out of the house when he got home because I freaked out. If I know him as well as I think I do, which I do then he is probably on his way here right now."

"You ran out on him? Great so now I have an angry Kieran on his way to bust down my door." I groaned.

I loved both of them like family but angry Kieran was annoying to deal with. And Jade being slightly unreasonable was also annoying to deal with. She was freaking out when I knew that if she actually told Kieran he would have easily talked her down in seconds. He had that affect on her.

"Sorry about that." She laughed and I was happy to see a smile back on her face. "You don't think this is too fast?" She asked clearly doubting herself.

"No I'm really happy for you two. I know you want to be a mom and there is no designated timeline for life. I know you think it's fast but you and Kieran have been together for awhile and you two are married. If anything this is the best time to have a baby." I assured her.

"I know I guess it just hit me all at once. Like I'm an adult and even though I love Kieran more than anything it's scary to think that we are both so young and we are starting this life together and now a family." She smiled finally and rested her hand on her stomach.

"You two are going to make really amazin-." My sentence got cut off by loud knocking on my front door.

We both knew who that was and Jade just stood up without saying anything to let her husband in.

"Don't run out on me." Kieran said once the door opened and he didn't take even a second to pull his wife into his arms and kiss the top of her head.

Seeing them made me miss having Harlan around. Even though we were together I was still finding ways to push him away. If I didn't maybe he'd actually be here right now and I'd be able to go to sleep tonight wrapped up in his arms.

One night apart and I was already missing him.

"I'm sorry I left." Jade said clinging onto Kieran like her life depended on it.

"It's ok baby but next time talk to me instead of just running out like that."

Jade just nodded.

"I'll see you later Ava." Kieran held his hand up in a wave.

"Bye guys." I waved as I watched Kieran lead his wife out the door and back home.

I knew they both had a lot to talk about but once they did I also knew everything would work out just fine. The second Kieran found out Jade was pregnant he'd be ecstatic. I was only slightly concerned of how protective he'd get over his wife now that she was walking around with a baby growing inside her. My best friend would definitely get sick of him by the end of those nine months.

Now I was alone in my apartment. With the couple going back to their house I was struck with the silence of my apartment. It only made me miss Harlan more.

Was I being totally ridiculous for wanting to show up at his place? Probably. I mean it is only really because of me and the space I'd been trying to keep between us that we were even apart right now anyways.

I called him crazy for wanting to move in together so quickly. But I was beginning to understand. The way I feel for Harlan was not what normal people felt after a week of dating. This was years in the making for us. Our connection even though we weren't together had been building through the friendship we had over the years.

Even if neither of us said it out loud, we were always a little more than just friends. Those feelings we had made it so we'd never be able to be just friends.

This realization was the reason I had left my apartment and showed up at Harlan's door without any warning.

I just knocked and waited.

When the door opened Harlan grinned down at me.

"I was wondering when you'd miss me enough to come crawling over here." He teased letting me in.

"You're annoying I shouldn't have come." I frowned bumping into his arm with my shoulder.

"So is this a yes to moving in?" He ignored my hostility and wrapped an arm around me.

"This is a I came to see Jaxon because I missed him and not you." I shoved Harlan off me and walked further into his apartment.

We both knew I was joking. And as Harlan caught up to me he wrapped me up into his arms from behind me.

"I love you." He said quietly and buried his face into my neck.

I leaned back into him. There was no doubt in my mind that this man was it for me. I was so sure about our future I was beginning to wonder exactly what I was waiting for. Why was I waiting for the right time when we had right now?

"I love you too." I squeezed his hands that gripped my waist.

I wanted a forever and that forever might as well start now.