3. Changing my last name

"So are you going to tell me?" Jade pressed.

I looked over at Harlan as he stacked his plate with food. Gosh darn it how long does it take to get breakfast?

"Tell you what?" I pretended to not know what she was talking about.

"What you did last night and why my brother was with you this morning?"

"We don't need to talk about me, you just got engaged!" I beamed.

I mostly just wanted to change the subject but she was my best friend and I did want to know all the details.

"Isn't it amazing! Kieran and I had the most amazing dinner and then dessert came and he was getting down on one knee and it was magical Ava." She looked so happy.

"I'm so happy for you."

"Look." She shoved her hand in my face showing off her ring.

It was beautiful, exactly what I imagined her ring to look like.

"Wow, Kieran really loves you." I marveled.

"I do." Kieran said sitting in the seat next to Jade.

"I love you too." Jade grinned at her fiancé.

Kieran planted a quick kiss on her lips before turning his attention to his food.

"Ok enough about me, now you have to tell me about your night." My best friend pleaded.

"Nothing special happened, just got some drinks and then went back to the room and slept it off." I lied.

"Nothing special? Wow I'm hurt Ava." Harlan frowned sitting next to me.

Of course now is the time he comes back.

"Will you just shut your face?" I glared at him.

"I think I like you better drunk and with less clothes on." He teased.

"I'll-,"

"What's with the ribbons?" Jade cut me off.

I looked down at our hands, stupid Harlan not letting me take it off.

"They are-,"

"We got married." Harlan interrupted.

What is with everyone not letting me finish my sentences?

I watched as Kieran nearly choked on the food he was currently eating. If Harlan wanted to kill Kieran maybe this way wasn't too bad of an option. Choking to death on breakfast sure is an interesting way to go.

"You what?!" My best friend just stared at us.

"You're looking at the new Mrs. Shepard." He threw his arm around my shoulder pulling me into him.

"I'm not changing my last name you idiot." I shoved him off me.

"Ok then I'll change mine, I want us to match." He smiled.

"No one is changing their name and no one is married." I was seriously sick of his shit.

"Well technically we are, we did say I do and consummate the marriage. That part was especially fun." He winked.

"You guys slept together?" Jade just looked stunned.

"I think that's what was implied with the consummation of the marriage." Kieran said.

"We did not sleep together, we just danced. Harlan is being annoying." I slapped his arm lightly.

"No need to result to abuse babe." He leaned over and kissed my cheek.

"I hate you." I mumbled.

"Isn't my wife the sweetest?" He laughed.

"I can't believe you guys are married. What does this mean? Are you guys together?" My best friend questioned.

"It means we got too drunk and now that I'm sober I will be annulling the marriage. We weren't in our right minds and so I'll be erasing this mistake as quickly as I can." I told her.

"You really make marrying me sound so great." Harlan chuckled.

"Why are you so annoying?" I asked him.

"I just like to get you riled up, you're hot when you're trying to be mad at me."

I don't stop myself from shoving him with as much strength as I could. Which is not surprisingly very little and he barely moves.

"See? Hot." He grinned.

Why did I love this man? Like actually why? He drove me insane but for some reason I couldn't get enough. I wanted to be around him and bicker with him forever. I wanted to flirt and play the game of will they won't they like we used to in high school.

Harlan was fun, he brought out the best sides in me and I wanted to be with him. But I knew that would never happened. I've always known it. Not matter how much we flirted or how close we got to finally going there we'd never actually do it. Well to be clear I'd never actually go there. I knew Harlan would, he's tried multiple times in high school and college but I knew what it would be for him. It would be sex, just sex and knowing that he didn't feel the same as I did made it impossible for me to ever let myself be with him. If I slept with him there would be no going back.

I needed to get out of this marriage and finally get the space I needed to move on from Harlan Shepard.

"This is crazy right?" Jade turned to look at her fiancé.

"Yes it is indeed crazy." He agreed.

"You know we are right here." Harlan sighed.

"Yes I know, but seriously how drunk were you that you went out and got married? You guys aren't even together what did you think was going to happen?"

I knew Jade would be the voice of reason. The one person that could really make me see how much of a mistake it was. It's not like I wanted to stay married to Harlan. I didn't want to be with him because of some drunken mistake. But even with it all I didn't regret what we did, I thought back to last night and I couldn't help but smile. It had been one of the best nights of my life.

But Jade was right, we weren't thinking. I had set myself up for heartbreak. Because despite knowing that I couldn't stay married to Harlan it would hurt to end it. To turn my back and say goodbye to something that wasn't even real to begin with.

This whole thing was a mess and the sooner I could end this the sooner I could somehow put the pieces of my heart back together.

A/n:

My birthday was last week. I wish I could say that I had a great time but basically everyone in my life ditched me. I had a nice day with my mom but I wanted the people in my life to actually care about seeing me or doing something with me. I put a lot into making a lot of my friends birthdays special this year and it just sucks that I don't get the same energy back. Also kinda sad because my dad basically ditched me not only on my actual birthday but the next two days as well. He went out the day of my birthday, he took my mom on a road trip basically all day the next day and then the day after that he had some party that he went to. Sometimes I really just don't feel like I'm enough to anyone in my life.

Anyways sorry for the emotion dump but I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh