5. Move to Antarctica

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. My best friend was married, she had finally gotten what she's wanted for years. I barely kept myself from crying during the ceremony but I did let a few happy tears go when Kieran and she had their first dance.

"Here you go." Liam placed my drink in front of me and sat in his seat.

"Thank you." I leaned over and gave him a quick kiss before reaching for my glass.

"Aren't you going to introduce me?" I turned to see Harlan standing by the table a beer in his hand.

"Harlan this is Liam my date, Liam this is Harlan, Jade's brother." I made the introduction.

"Also the ex-husband but she likes to leave that part out." He stuck his hand out to shake Liams.

"Ex-husband?" Liam raised his eyebrows at me.

I tried not to show my annoyance but of course, Harlan comes in talking about a marriage that didn't even last a week. A marriage I had never told Liam about.

"A five-day marriage doesn't count, we weren't even a couple." I reminded him.

"Is she mean to you like this too? Don't take it personally, it's just how she shows she cares. I think I'd be more concerned if she started being nice to me one day." Harlan sat in the empty chair next to me and I wanted nothing more than for him to leave.

"Yeah." Liam nodded.

I didn't need him to tell me what he was thinking. I was never mean to Liam, I didn't bicker with him or start dumb fights as I did with Harlan. I didn't act the way I do around Harlan with anyone but him.

"Where's your date?" I asked.

I didn't know why I asked but I couldn't help but wonder. It had been a year since I saw him, it would make sense if he had a girlfriend and I didn't know about it.

"Came solo, didn't want to deprive the ladies of my fine self. I was planning on going for the hot maid of honor but she seems to be otherwise occupied so I'll have to settle for one of the other bridesmaids."

I wanted to kill him. The flirting was unnecessary and I was here with Liam. I didn't need Harlan swooping in and trying to play this game with me.

"You should grow up, stop messing around and finally get serious for once in your life," I told him.

"I've been serious before, you act like my whole life is a joke. I did get married if you don't remember," he rested his chin on his hand and just stared at me.

"You got married while blackout drunk I don't count that as being serious," I argued.

"I guess you're right," he shrugged grabbing his beer and standing back up. "I should get ready for my speech."

And with that, he walked away. I didn't know what to think. Seeing Harlan again wasn't what I had thought it would be like. He hadn't changed all that much. He was the same Harlan that I had been hopelessly in love with. But I had shut those feelings off, I had decided to move on. He couldn't just show up and mess with my head again.

"So you were married," Liam spoke.

"For 5 days." I nodded.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He questioned.

"Because it was a dumb thing I did while drunk and it didn't mean anything," I told him.

"It meant nothing? So you guys didn't have feelings for each other?"

"No of course not. We were drunk and Jade and Kieran had just gotten engaged. We thought it would be fun, you know get married before them and so we just did it. We got it annulled and I haven't even really thought about it since." I knew I had lied but I couldn't admit the truth out loud.

I couldn't say that I was in love with him then and probably still loved him today. It was wrong, I had Liam, and even if we aren't officially dating it was something. Two months' worth of something.

"Ok, he seems like an interesting guy. Not who I would've expected to be your ex-husband."

I felt a twinge in my chest. Harlan is the exact type of guy I expected to be with. He was loud, goofy, and sort of obnoxious. He was the type of guy that seemed to fit with me and compliment all my own craziness. The craziness that I toned down a lot for Liam and basically every guy I'd ever dated. With Harlan, I was myself fully and I missed having that with someone.

"I have to pee I'll be back." I stood up and practically raced out of the room towards where the bathrooms were.

I just needed a moment, a moment to clear my head and stop letting Harlan take over. I had suppressed those feelings, why did they need to come back?

I just leaned against the wall of the hallway and closed my eyes. Just a minute alone was all I needed.

"I know Liam is so boring but you didn't need to literally run away and hide from him."

I opened my eyes to see none other than Harlan leaning on the wall opposite me.

"What do I have to do to get rid of you?" I asked.

"At least one sacrifice to satan and maybe move to Antarctica. I don't really like the cold." He joked.

"Can I sacrifice you to the devil? If so then I'll definitely consider it."

"Now that's just harsh, I was going to offer up Linus as the sacrifice, I doubt anyone would miss him."

"It's Liam." I corrected him.

"Isn't that what I said?" He tilted his head.

"I pity the girl that has to put up with you."

"Don't get jealous, you know no girl will ever replace you. You'll always be my number one." He winked.

"I should go back to Liam." I pushed myself off the wall.

Harlan reached out and grabbed my arm stopping me from leaving.

"I missed you, Ava, life was quite miserable without you around." He said softly.

I didn't say anything I just stood there as Harlan stared down at me. I tried my best to ignore how much closer we were than we were before.

"You look gorgeous by the way." He smiled before turning and walking back towards the reception.

I was in serious trouble.

A/n:

I'm giving twice a week updates a chance. I wrote like three chapters last night and I'm feeling pretty motivated when it comes to this story.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh