Bonus Chapter 4: It's Christmas

Ava's POV: (about three years after the epilogue)

"Samson." I groaned as my favorite little furry friend ran in circles around my legs.

He was extra excited this morning because a certain someone was outside making a bunch of noise and the dog just wanted me to let him investigate. But I was busy making up two mugs of hot cocoa to actually deal with the fur ball at the moment.

Samson got impatient and barked up at me.

"Shush." I gave the dog a look.

He just tilted his head and barked again not realizing I was trying to keep him quiet.

And that's when I heard the sound of movement from the bedroom.

"Thanks for that Samson." I pet his head and turned just in time as small footsteps barreled into the kitchen.

"I wake!" Mason beamed as he tried to run but more like waddled into view.

"Good morning Mase." I leaned down to scoop the little guy up and plant him on my hip.

"Dada?" He looked around for his favorite person.

"He's outside. We got to put your winter stuff on if you want to help him with the lights." I said.

My sons whole face lit up and he squirmed around in my hold. Mason was almost two now and he was about as energetic as I imagined a kid with Harlan's genes to be. It was a miracle that he ever got any sleep so whenever he was sleeping I tried my best to keep him that way. Samson never seemed to get the memo.

"Outside." Mason tugged at my shirt trying to get me to walk.

"Be patient bud." I chuckled and walked into the front hall to get all of Mason's winter stuff.

Once I finished getting Mase all dressed and ready for the cold outdoors he was wrapped up in so many layers his little limps were sticking out like a starfish as he waddled to the door with the biggest smile on his face. I opened the door for him and he beamed at the sight of his dad.

Harlan had woken up early and determined to put lights up all over the front of the house. So hours later and he was still at it decorating. He was extra determined this year to make Christmas perfect.

"Dada!" Mase squealed loud enough that Harlan's head snapped towards us.

"How's my little man." Harlan hopped off the ladder he was currently standing on and raced right over to the little blond.

"Up up!" Mase threw his hands up grabbing at the air.

Harlan didn't even hesitate to scoop the kid up and spin him around.

"Want to help with the lights?" He asked.

"Yeah!" The little one nodded eagerly always happy to do anything with his dad.

It warmed my heart every time I saw the two of them together. The year Harlan and I took just the two of us had been amazing but the second I found out I was pregnant I was more than ready to expand our bubble of two into a whole family.

I wanted everything with Harlan and I finally got it.

The two boys walked right back over to the tree Harlan was wrapping with lights. He set Mason down right into the frosted grass.

"Let me finish this tree and then you can pick where the Santa goes." Harlan said stepping back up to the ladder and finishing attaching all the lights to the front tree.

I never really decorated outside for Christmas growing up. I mean my mom would drive me around when I was a kid to look at the lights in neighboring houses but never our house. It was nice that Harlan seemed intent to give that to Mason. Let him get every experience he could. He was such a good dad sometimes it took me by surprise how thoughtful he was. He came up with the perfect ideas for different traditions and activities to do with Mase.