Not Friends

"It's Lucas! Truth or dare?"

"Truth." Lucas's co-workers met together and were playing truth or dare. To be honest, he thought it's boring and not entertaining at all. But it was still nice to socialize with your friends, right?

"Hmm....who's your crush?" Lucas's eyes got big and the others laughed.

"How do you expect us to not know? You literally have a random girl as your wallpaper for your phone!" Shouted Renjun, Lucas's best friend. He rolled his eyes at him and answered the question.

"Well...there's this one girl in China. She's called...Yuqi." He could feel his heart move as he said her name out loud. A few of his co-workers snickered jokingly at me, but he wasn't offended.

"Calm down, Lucas! You're blushing!" Ten, another good friend of mine called out. The group started laughing, and he could only pretend to laugh along.

"Tell us more about her! Is she pretty?" Asked someone. Lucas nodded shyly and added, "The prettiest and cutest girl ever." Hearing this, the group started pretending to boo him just for fun. He had to admit, he was fitting along very well. Although Lucas still is struggling with Korean a lot, he seemed likeable enough for others to be friends with him.

The group asked for a picture, so Lucas just showed them my collection of photos he has of Yuqi. They agreed that she was pretty, and one of them even joked that he would date her first. The game went on and actually got better. Then, Lucas went back to his apartment. The game reminded him of Yuqi. He missed her already. He knew it was already 10, but Yuqi slept really late, so he tried calling her.

He hit the call button, and at first she didn't pick up. But after a minute, she called back herself. He figured it was because she knew it had to be a reason for him to call her. That made Lucas feel bad, because he only missed her voice and wanted to hear her speak.

"Yuqi?" There was some muffling on the other side, and then Yuqi responded.

"Lucas? Why are you calling?" Although the voice was full of confusion, it was still nice to hear his crush's voice.

"Oh, um...I just wanted...to see how you were doing." There was silence at first.

"Didn't I tell you not to talk to me?" She asked in an impatient tone now. Lucas was hurt by the sudden anger towards him, because he did nothing wrong.

"Wait! Yuqi, don't go! I...I was just checking in..." There was a heavy sigh on the other end followed by, "It's late. You should go to bed. We're not necessarily friends anymore. Don't act like we are." And with that, she ended the call.

Speechless. Lucas was left speechless. How could Yuqi just do that? Instead of the usual sorrow he felt, this time all he felt was anger. What was the point of loving someone when they didn't like you back? But he also started feeling jealousy for the first time. How come Yuqi was willing to be friends with Kun but not with him? Did she...like him?

Lucas quickly threw away all his thoughts, as they were starting to get out of control now. He decided he would distract himself by reading a book. He tried to force Yuqi off his mind, but it wasn't quite working.

"We're not necessarily friends anymore. Don't act like we are." That part still hit Lucas hard. It was heartbreaking. He should have never set the bar high in the beginning.