Sunshine

A week after, Yuqi got accepted to an accounting job at a decently reputable company. The first day of work was really exciting, and she instantly clicked well with all her coworkers. There were also a few other new workers that also had their first day with her. After the first shift, the coworkers decided to welcome Yuqi by treating her to a meal. They ate a wonderful meal of steamed dumplings and later got boba. Yuqi ordered her usual favorite, jasmine tea with pearls.

Her job wasn't too difficult, considering how well she mastered her major. A couple new projects were introduced here and there, but overall it wasn't anything unmanageable. The salary was decent too. The first payday, Yuqi decided to treat everyone at home to a meal.

"Wow, our Yuqi is so mature already. Spending her very first payment on us." Kun clapped his hands as he took a bite of the delicious meat on the table. Lucas also nodded his head, even frowning in enjoyment at how utterly good the food was.

"Finally, we didn't raise her for nothing." Lucas jokingly said. Yuqi playfully slapped him on the arm, but he liked it too. "Don't act like you're so much older than me. If you raised me, where were you when the monthly bills came?" Everyone started laughing carelessly.

"Ok kids, let's not fight. You guys are almost the same age." Yuqi snickered at Lucas, which made him laugh even more.

"Ok but actually, I'm really proud of you. You're financially independent now, and that's a huge step." Lucas suddenly became emotional, as the feelings inside him built up. "My sunshine's shining even brighter than before."

The moment Lucas felt those words accidentally escaped his lips, he knew he had let it slip. How would she interrupt it? Either way, it didn't matter to him anymore. Whether she liked him or not, all Lucas ever wanted was for her to be healthy and happy. Her thoughts about him...they didn't matter, and they were probably different anyways. Even if Lucas had to love without receiving, he thought that was enough.

But to his surprise, Yuqi looked at him fondly, and whispered, "The sunshine that only shined because of you."