Pt.7

R U E

AFTER A FEW minutes, I finally get the courage to speak up once more.

"I'm gonna go see what's taking Alex so long." I give a forced, awkward smile, swimming away toward a mossy rock.

I pull myself up, the cold air hitting me with a harsh slap. I take a deep breath, crossing my arms and walking towards Alex. Alex is on the phone, wrapped up in a towel. He's sitting under a tree, not noticing me yet.

"Hey," I call out, getting his attention. He sends me a quick glance, informing that he heard me, "I think we should head home, I'm getting tired." As if on cue, I shiver and watch as goosebumps form on my arms.

Believe it or not. We've already been here for an hour. Alex swam for a little before he got out and started a call with someone.

Nadine didn't even swim. He just leaned against a rock the whole time. The cold air, plus the hot water, made a nice steam rise. The steam filled the air, making it a bit foggy.

It was creepy, yet satisfying.

"Okay," Alex says, still not hanging the phone up.

That conversation must be interesting.

I walk over to where Nadine rests in the water. The green-ish, brown moss, is squishy and uncomforting under my feet. The heat from the water, warms me a bit since I'm so close. I sit down on the rock, letting my feet dangle into the water. Nadine is a few spaces beside me, except he's in the water, while I'm above ground.

"I think we should leave." I say, staring ahead at the mini waterfall. The running water makes the silence sound soothing instead of awkward.

"If you're ready." He says, still not moving. I know I'm ready. But I don't think he is.

"I like how quiet it is here" I admit. "I usually come here by myself, but I thought I should share my secret hideout with Alex." I laugh at the last part.

"How did you find this place?" Nadine asks, not looking at me. I let myself wander.

"My best friend and I used to come here." I smile at the memory of when she first brought me here. I was complaining about how I needed space from everything. And when she brought me here, the only thing that crossed my mind, was this is perfect. "Her name was Ruth."

I look over to him. He's focused on the trees, how the wind moves them, giving the illusion that they're dancing. I don't realize how long I've been staring, until I feel his finger glaze the skin of my calf.

Out of instinct, I flinch at the contact, but I relax. He looks up at me, and when he does, I feel myself freeze. He moves so that he's in front of me. Even with me on land and him in water, he's still taller than me.

Nadine's finger tips run up and down the side of my thighs, almost in a teasing manner. I suck in a small breath, which sounds like a gasp. "What are you doing?" I ask in a whispered voice.

He doesn't say anything, allowing the silence to fill the air. I feel his breath my cheek as he leans down. He doesn't make any move, almost as if he's scared. Scared to hurt me? Wait- Oh my gosh. Nadine is scared of me...

Just kidding. I don't think I could scare anyone, let alone him.

I feel his hands trail up my thighs, going to my waist. He always stops for a few minutes. Doing what exactly? I have no idea.

His lips are next to my ear, I feel myself shudder when he whispers into me.

"You're too pure for this world, Tesoro." He backs away, a hint of a smirk crosses his features. "Let's go before I freeze my dick off." He get's out of the water, climbing onto the rock.

I'm too stunned to move. Like, what the fuck just happened? He gets me all worked up, and then decides to just dip? Thats messed up. What if I had left him with blue balls? He would have lost his mind.

"What the fuck was that?" I ask, standing up and catching up to him.

He glances over his shoulder and sighs. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't gaslight me." I say, crossing my arms. He stops to look at me. Jesus, this man is a giant. He leans his head back and lets out a deep chuckle. I watch as his Adam apple bobs. Wait- why am I watching his throat?

"Hey, did you get any texts from Mom?" Alex's voice interrupts us. He approaches us, fully dressed, his hair still damp.

I lean down and dig into my backpack. "No." I say, checking my phone. Yup. No messages or missed calls. They're so worried for us.

- - -

We walk through the door of Nadines mansion. It's quiet and dark, but Nadine flips a light on that instantly lights the whole living room up.

Right as we turned the light on, my mom and dad walk out of Nadine's meeting space. They look frustrated and annoyed.

My mom sees me and her mood instantly changes, "Hey sweetheart! Where were you guys all day?" She says with a laugh.

"We tried calling you multiple times." Alex mutters in annoyance.

"Oh yea, sorry about that, we've been in this meeting. We were wondering where y'all went when we came back here earlier."

"Yea, well if you had picked up your phone at least once, you would know."

My father comes towards us, "Don't speak to your mother like that." He demands in a deep voice. My brother nods his head, too scared to actually speak.

"Sorry." He simply says. My mom smiles and cups his cheek in her hands.

"It's okay, dear. We've just been busy the whole day, I think we're all really tired."

We all nod in unison.

"Okay, thank you Elizabeth and Harlem for having us last night. And of course Nadine, for hosting." My mom says with a laugh. All the grownups share a laughs, as if that was the best joke in the world.

Okay, Camilla.

You can think that.

———

𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀 : 𝐛𝐥𝐲𝐧𝐧

𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀 : 𝐛𝐥𝐲𝐧𝐧.𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐭