Pt.23

Nadine's POV

AS I RUN up the stairs leading to the roof, I can't help but think about the story Ivan told me.

Did my parents lie to me? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised. They lie to me a lot, but never something this big.

I push the doors open to see Rue sitting at the edge of the roof. Her back facing me. She didn't turn to look at me, she just sat there.

"Rue." I walk closer to her. She still doesn't move. Maybe she's asleep? That sounds dumb.

But then I see it. I see a bruise beginning to form on her shoulder.

Fuck.

I put my hand on her shoulder. She still doesn't budge.

"Rue what happened." I try to keep my voice a low whisper, but I was worried. What happened up here? Why didn't she leave when she got the chance? Why is she shaking so much- oh it's fucking cold out here. Where the fuck is her coat.

I take my Dress jacket off and drape it over her shoulders. I sit down and take a good look at her face.

Her cheeks and nose were a rosy tint, she had a cut about an inch under her eye, and tears were streaming down her poor face, I then notice bruises shaped as handprints appearing on her neck. She kept her blank expression while letting the tears flow.

Ivan must have done something.

I knew I should have kill d him when I had the chance, but fuck- I couldn't take the risk.

I grab Rue's arm and pull her up from the sitting position she was in. How could I be so reckless, to think that I could trust him? No one can trust him.

I press Rue's back against the wall so that I was standing in front of her. She still wasn't acknowledging me, she wasn't even looking at me.

"Rue, what the hell happened," I yell. Her lips part a little after I said that.

"He touched me." She stated.

I felt a ping in my heart. I don't know why, but I didn't want her to feel this way. I don't want her to be in pain.

I also felt angry.

"Who, Rue!?" I feel my jaw lock. "Who touched you?" I demand.

"The bodyguard. He- he hit me"

"Rue, I am so sorry, I didn't mean for any of this to happe-"

"Where were you." She sounds so defeated, her breathing is uneven and she still isn't looking me in the eyes.

I grab her chin and direct her attention to me, "I am so sorry Rue. I'm serious, you don't know how bad I feel." My thumb brushes over the cut on her cheek and I can see more tears beginning to spill, "I won't let them touch you."

"It's a little late for that, isn't it? Why weren't you up here with me? W-why?" She was full on sobbing now.

I don't know what I can do to comfort her. My parents never showed me much affection, they said it would make me weak. My mom would give me head kisses every now and then, but I don't think I've had a proper hug since I was 5.

"Rue, I'll be right back, I'm gonna go find the guy-"

"Please don't leave." She finally looks me in the eye, and I swear I could feel all of her pain.