Pt.42

Nadine's POV

ANIYAH'S BARELY HOLDING on. She stares at the cracked ceiling, mumbling tiny words to herself while I sit and hold her hand.

"Can you finish the story?" I ask. She never finished the story of how she got like this. How she's on her death bed.

She smiles and looks at me, "You really wanna know?" She asks, her eyes softening.

"Yes." I answer honestly.

She turns away and stares back at the ceiling,
"After she told me you all were dead, I stabbed her, using a dirty, rusty knife I had found on the floor. I only stab her on her shoulder though, so it didn't kill her. I climbed on top of her, and ripped the knife out and put it to her neck. I kept yelling and screaming, saying that she was lying. I was so desperately trying to figure out if she was lying, but I couldn't tell. I didn't realize it at the time, but she had took out a knife. I felt it poke my stomach, she tried to bargain with me, a life for a life, but I didn't listen. I cut at her throat, and that's when I felt the knife plunge into me. It was deep, but I didn't stop. Her blood poured out of her body and spilled onto the floor. Our bloods were mixing together. The sight ought to make me throw up, but I've seen it all. Thinking about it now, I wish I had another life. One where I didn't have to know how to throw a knife or load a gun." She sniffles, but covers it up with a cough, "The men in black suits found me and re-tied me back up." She finishes, "and now we're here."

I don't know what to say. There's nothing really to say after all of this.

Aniyah turns to me and smiles, her blue eyes fixated on me, her smile dies down and her words come out, "Leave." she simply says.

I look at her confused, "What-"

"Go find Rue."

Fuck.

I forgot about Rue.

I quickly stand up, getting ready to run out the door, but I stop for a moment. I look down at the blonde headed annoying girl who always though she was better than me.

It turns out she was right.

She is better than me.

"Don't wait for me, find everyone and leave. Don't spare all the details to Diego. I'm comfortable, I'm not in pain or worried. Well, I guess I am a little uncomfortable with a knife in my stomach. But anyways. Tell him to live his life, find a pretty girl who cares about him as much as he cares about her.
Go find Rue and have a happy ending. Have little curly red headed babies with blue eyes." She stifles a laugh and turns away, "Don't worry about me. I'm fine."

I see her eyes close and worry immediately fills my body, but I can't do anything. I stand frozen in shock for a moment. I always wished she would leave me alone, but now I wish all she can do is bother the living fuck out of me.

I feel my body tug towards the door. I'm running. Rue's screams fill my ears, I now know where she is.

I come to the end of the long hallway. A black door awaits. I don't wait a second before I'm busting the door open.

The room is dark, but I hear a few sniffles and immediately, I'm able to walk in.

"Rue?" I quietly call out. The crying stops and I hear her breathing get quicker.

"Nadine?" She asks. I smile to myself. Tesoro. My Tesoro. I run over to her, the dull light from the hall way helps a little, I see her red hair peeking in the dark.

"Nadine- the light, above me." I slightly see her lift her head up, motioning to the light bulb with a string attached. I pull on the string, and the room fills with a yellowish glow. I look down at Rue-