Pt.50

Nadine's POV

"Don't worry, I'll be back in a little."

You don't know how much that hurt.

I'm trying to do what Ivan said, but it's just so hard. If this is love, then I don't like it, nor do I want it.

If Rue decides she doesn't want to stay when I get this alliance going, then that will keep her safe. She'll get what she always wanted.

Freedom.

But without her parents, I don't know what she'll do.

And if she does stay...

Then I can't get close with her.

I have to break her heart.

She needs to stay away from me.

And I need to stay away from her.

This was my last chance.

I should've used it better than this.

But maybe one day she'll understand why I did it.

I put the bottle of champagne in the drivers seat, and start going towards Ivan's actual house. Not some too secured "secret hideout".

Ivan wanted me to discuss some things with Isabella, make sure we're on the same track. She texted me to bring champagne. So I did.

I guess I forgot to mention that we exchanged numbers.

I wore this stupid suit so that Rue would think I'm going somewhere important. I take the dress jacket off and slip my coat back on. I take the tie and throw it on the floor of my car. I grab the champagne and go inside.

Isabella is on the couch watching T.V. "Hey." I say, informing her that I'm here. She looks up at me and gives an awkward smile and walks over to me.

She's wearing a yellow sweater-shirt type thing. It shows a bit of her stomach and cleavage. She has ripped jeans and is wearing just socks.

"So should we get started?" She asks. I nod. "Follow me." She tilts her head to the side, motioning for me to follow.

She leads me upstairs to her room. She has a mini couch perched in front of her window, she motions for me to sit, so I do. I take a seat on the couch. She must have brought two wine glasses up without me seeing, because now she's opening the champagne and pouring me, and herself, a glass.

"Here." She hands me the cup of liquid. She takes a sip of hers and smiles to herself. "I'm really sorry you have to do this."

I look up at her and meet her eyes. "I chose to do it. My Mafia is dead. My friends were kidnapped and all I could do was watch one of them die. This is the only way I can protect them."

Protect her. I leave out.

Even if it means hurting her first.

"Either way. I'm sorry." She gives me a sweet smile, showing off all her pearly white teeth. "At least you'll be able to bring the rest of your old living Mafia, to your new one. That's something, isn't it?"

"I'm not sure they'll be happy about it."

"Who cares? You're in charge now. Not them. You. After our marriage... you will be one of the most powerful men, in the world." She takes a big gulp of her drink. "This is smooth." She says holding up her glass.

"I know, right." I laugh.

"Should we go over something's. You know, plan the future?" She asks with a small laugh.