Chapter Twenty - Personal Bubble

{Chapter Twenty – Personal Bubble}

•Violet Preston• 

"So..." I started nervously as I swarmed under Eli's intense gaze.  "They're announcing what the grand prize is for the snowflake winners tonight."

No response.

I sighed in frustration.  Eli's been staring at me with a frown ever since Ali and Hayden left to go do whatever they do.   And the silence plus the stare was driving me crazy.  Could this guy stop staring at me already?

"Eli stop it," I snapped as I avoided Eli’s eyes.  I couldn’t take it much longer. 

"Stop what?" Eli finally spoke.

"You know what," I simply stated as I reverted my eyes back to Eli who had a small smile playing on his lips.

"I don't know what you're talking about." 

"Stop playing dumb.  You keep looking like me like that!" I hissed. 

"Like what?" 

"Staring at me like you do!" I exclaimed a bit too loud, getting a few stares in addition to Eli's.  This guy always had to make myself look like a fool in public.  It's like a repeat of our first music class together. 

"Why should I stop looking at you?" He challenged with a brow raised and amusement evident in his face.

"Because you of all people know that I hate being stared at," I replied in a lower tone.

"Your eyes are beautiful Violet," Eli stated as he leaned in closer towards me his scent intoxicating my senses as blood rushed to my face. 

"So you're calling me Violet all of a sudden?" I tried to change the subject as I leaned back. 

"Tell me what happened in the washroom and I'll stop staring at you," Eli said, his face dead serious that he almost resembled Aunt Serena's ready for business face.

"Um...I told you that nothing happened," I said, trying my best not to stutter. 

"Preston just spit it out!" Eli said angrily all of a sudden.  "I can tell when you're lying.  Tell me what's wrong.  It's like no matter how patient I try to be and you know patience is not my thing, you never open up to me about anything.  It's been driving me insane just not knowing anything that goes inside that mind of yours.  It's like I barely know you."

My mouth felt like it was glued shut after Eli's rant.   I didn't know what to say.   "I...Well you never tell me anything either," I replied stubbornly, "I don't know what goes through your mind.  All I know is that your leather jacket is your favourite piece of clothing, Ali's your sister, you love ruining a happy mood, and that's about it."

"I see you two are back to the bickering duo like the good old days," Ali chimed into our conversation with a too happy of a tone, completely different from the one she used with Vanessa earlier.  I had a feeling she had been watching us for a while. 

"Go away," Eli snapped at her.

"Eli, why are you being so rude?" I snapped at Eli. 

"Why are you being so secretive?" He exclaimed.  Man, I couldn't remember the last time I argued with Eli.  It’s been so long that I almost forget how extremely frustrating and draining it could be sometimes. 

"Guys, if you're arguing about secrets why don't you exchange secrets or something?" Ali suggested.

"Didn't I tell you to..." Eli turned to Ali before he suddenly smiled, "Ali, you're a genius!"