Chapter Five - The Childhood "Friend"

{Chapter Five - The Childhood "Friend"}

Violet Preston

There was a knock on my door. "Let's chat," my mom said on the other side of my bedroom door.

It had been an hour since the Desmonds left. I huffed and went to open the door, letting my mother in. She sat on my bed and patted the spot next to her, inviting me to sit.  I reluctantly sat down, not speaking a word.

"Look, I didn't mean to keep this from you," she started when I didn't talk.

"Yeah for two years." I rolled my eyes.

"Listen, I know you're upset with me and I understand that.  You must understand that I haven't been this happy since your father died."

"I understand."

"Really?" She looked at me with a surprised expression.

I nodded.  As much as I didn't like the idea of my mom getting married to Mr. Desmond (the guy gave me bad vibes), I also didn't want my mom to be unhappy after seeing her so happy with Mr. Desmond. She had been working her butt off like crazy and took care of the family business once my dad died and I have never seen her this happy before.

"You don't know how relieved that makes me feel," she said happily before bringing me in for another awkward hug.  My mother wasn't the hugging type and neither was I so you could imagine how awkward it was.

After a few more seconds of staying in the awkward hugging position with my mom, she finally pulled back before bombarding me with questions, "Have you been sleeping well? Do you still get nightmares? Have you been taking your sleeping pills? Have went to the doctor's?" It was so strange to see my mom actually act like a worried mom even though we weren't as close as we used to be.

"I haven't gotten much sleep lately, but when I do sleep, I get nightmares. No, I haven't taken my pills, I keep forgetting. And no, I haven't gone to the doctor's," I said, trying to answer all her questions at once.

"Remember to take you pills and I'll take you the doctor's sometime before I leave."

"You're leaving?"

"In a couple days. I'll be back for Christmas," she promised, but I knew she wouldn't be back.  She always made empty promises or simply forgot.

"So you're not going to be here for my birthday?" I asked. My birthday was coming up soon and I'd always spent them alone which I've gotten used to, even comfortable with, but somehow, I wanted things to be different this time.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I can."

"Why not? You're here now. Surely, you can stay a few more days." I sounded like the 12 year old me begging my mom to stay.

"Sorry, I have to catch a flight the day before. Duty calls. I hope you understand. I'm doing all this is for you. After all, one day, the company, the school, and the hospital will be yours," she explained.

I nodded my head, but what I really wanted to say was 'Gee mother, thanks a lot for reminding me.' I absolutely had no interest in taking over everything that my family owned. In fact, I didn't want any of it. I don't want to get handed everything.  I wanted to go out into the real world and work hard for the things I want.

"Well, I guess I'll be heading to bed. Tomorrow is Grayson's first day and I want you two to go to school together and make sure to show him around," my mom told me before bidding me a goodnight.

After my mom left, I decided to go down to the kitchen and eat something before I had to go brush my teeth. As I entered the kitchen, I spotted Grayson rummaging through the fridge and then the pantry.