Chapter Twenty-Eight - Let It Out

{Chapter Twenty-Eight - Let It Out}

"Gooooo fish!" Eli slammed his hand down with a victorious smile.

"Yeah, yeah.  Alright, you won again." I rolled my eyes.  He had beat me once again.  "Let's play another game. I'm sick of playing go fish."

"Don't you mean you're sick of losing, Preston?  Remember the bet we made before the game? The loser has to share a secret that the other person does not know about so go on sweet pea.  Spill what you have yet to tell me.  You told me your worst memory, but there's something else you haven't mentioned."

"What are you talking about?" I tried to play coy but I knew Eli was not fooled one bit.

"I know the looks and private talks you and Grayson share.  You're purposely keeping stuff from me and if anything is going on with him, I just want you to know that I'll be there for you." Eli shot me a heartwarming smile that make my heart suddenly race.  Should I tell him?  I think he deserves the truth.

"Alright so..." I added all the stuff that I forgot to mention to him with Grayson and Mr. Desmond.

"So let me get this straight...Grayson's here to protect you?" Eli asked like it was the hardest thing to believe and I didn't blame him.

"Yep."

"Ali can protect you a hundred times better than he can.  She fools people with her size but in reality, she's a freaking ninja when it comes to fighting."

"I know.  But hold on, I cannot believe you just complimented her.  I really should have recorded that.  She's going to kill me for not doing that."

"Yeah, yeah.  So my dad's the lead suspect?" He asked and I nodded grimly.  "I'm not surprised.  He's a selfish bastard who only cares about his own happiness.  I heard that he was best friends with your dad as well before.  He sunk lower than I ever imagined he could," Eli said with disgust all over his features.

"Well, we don't know for sure if he's the one," I replied and Eli gave a confused look.  My response confused myself as well.  Why was I defending him?  Maybe it was because I actually saw a hint of worry in him when Ali had the allergic reaction to the nuts and believed he couldn't be that heartless.  But then again, who was I kidding?  Eli hated his own dad for what he did to his mom.

"Still, I promise I'll help you catch the killer whether it is my dad or not.  Was that another reason why you were so determined to keep our parents apart?"

I nodded.  "I didn't want my mom getting hurt if your dad really was the one responsible."

"Well, that settles it.  No matter what, we have to keep them away from each other.  No more fun and games with these useless plans with Grayson's lousy acting and Grandma Lili's nonsense. As soon as we get back home, we're going to solve everything."  He gave me a reassuring smile and a look of determination. 

I returned it with a grateful smile and a nod.

• • • • •

The next day, the ship arrived at the final port of our trip in Belize.

"Ready for an adventure, sweet pea?" Eli asked as I came out of the washroom.

"What are we going to do in Belize?" I asked, putting my shoes on and getting my backpack strapped on my back.

"We're going to be climbing up pyramids today," he replied cheerfully.  "Now we got to hurry!"

"Well, you're awfully happy about pyramids," I commented.

"I just like pyramids a lot."

"I noticed."

An hour later after we got off the Harrington cruise ship owned by Grayson's uncle which we found out a few days ago and arrived at the Mayan ruins, Eli went straight to climbing one.  I followed in suit.

"You never realize how out of shape you are until you try climbing to the top of a pyramid," I exclaimed to Eli who was way ahead of me and almost to the top.

"Hurry slow poke!  It's honestly not that bad!"

"I'm that person who gets tired from walking from the first floor to the third floor at school every morning!" I yelled so he could hear me.  "Imagine how worse this is for me!"

Eli turned around and went back down to where I was.  "Please, I have to travel from the first floor to the fourth floor everyday.  Imagine how I feel.  Hop on," he ordered, pointing to his back.  I didn't try to argue with him this time and hopped onto his back.  "You whine too much," he stated as he piggybacked me up the pyramid.  "I don't know how you're going to do anything physical like fighting.  How will defend yourself with such low stamina?"

"I'll figure it out," I muttered grumpily.  "And for the record, I did okay fighting with Ali for someone with low stamina," I retorted causing Eli to snort.  I frowned and whacked his shoulder.  "What's so funny?"

"Ali wasn't even trying that hard.  She was taking it easy on you.  When we get back, you're going to train with her."

"Yes, mom."

When we got to the top of the pyramid a second later, Eli slides me off his back.  "Now I want you to scream at the top of your lungs," Eli stated all of a sudden.

"What?" I asked, taken aback.

"Scream!"  He yelled causing the other people around us to give us weird looks.

"Why?! People are looking at us."

"Think of screaming as letting everything out.  You currently above everything on the top of this pyramid and you have the perfect opportunity to scream your heart out."

"There's people," I whispered slash hissed at him.

"I'm trying to help you Preston!  I want you to just let everything out-your worries, past, bad memories, everything that's holding you back.  Don't give a damn about what other people think and just do it," Eli said, taking a hold of my hand.  "I'll go first. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" He screamed so loudly that everyone from miles away heard.  Has this guy lost it or something?  He turned to me expectantly and nodded.

I opened my mouth, readying myself since I knew Eli would only continue to pester me if I didn't obey and screamed as loud as I could.  "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"  I let everything out through my scream and after I was finished, I felt slightly relieved like my worries were lifted off my chest.

"Better?" He asked and I nodded.  "Good because I don't want to risk becoming deaf again."

"You're the one who told me to do it, idiot." I whacked him.

"I really love it when you're violent with me."

"Shut up!  If my voice is ruined because of that screaming you made me do, you're dead," I threatened him.

"I don't mind dying at your hands." Eli shot me a sly grin.  This guy was hopeless.