Chapter Two - Bad Luck Strikes

{Chapter Two - Bad Luck Strikes}

Violet Preston

He just stared at me with a blank expression for the first few seconds before a smile took over his lips and laughter escaped his mouth.

         That guy actually stood there, laughing his heart out right in my face.

         What was with this guy?

         I glared at Eli angrily, not really appreciating his laughter at the moment. This was the first and only time I've actually asked for help from someone at Preston and all I do is get laughed at. Unbelievable! If I could get up on my own, I would have slapped Eli's face by now.

         "Sorry, but I have something to do," Eli said, finally sobering up and I glared at him some more.

         "Fine, I don't need your help anyways," I scoffed.

         "Whatever floats your boat," Eli replied with a huge smirk on his face, "Ali should be able to help you." Then Eli was gone in a snap along with his guitar.

         "Sorry about my brother," Ali apologized, "he can be jerk sometimes."

         "Yeah, he sure is," I agreed before I realized she had just referred to him as 'brother'. "Wait, you two are siblings?" I asked bewildered. I would have never guessed it in a million years. I examined Ali from head to toe. Even from the ground I could tell that she was pretty short, maybe 5 feet tall with big voluminous blonde curly hair. Then I compared her to Eli from earlier with his beyond 6 feet frame and jet black hair. The two of them looked like complete opposites with only one similarity - their emerald green eyes.

         "Yeah, we are," Ali replied. I was about to ask if they were twins when she added, "We aren't twins. Eli is 11 months older than me; he was born January and I was born in late December."

         I nodded in understanding since it did made sense, but I still wouldn't have known they were related just based off their appearances and auras.

         "I'm Alison by the way, but most people call me Ali. I'll help you to the infirmary," Ali offered as she helped me get back on my two feet.

         "I'm Violet. And it's alright, I don't need to go to the infirmary." I winced as the pain in my ankle grew as I rose from the ground.

         "Are you sure?" She asked me, looking worried. She was the exact the opposite of her brother.

         "Yeah, it's just a sprained ankle. Nothing I can't manage," I said, putting on a strong front even though the pain was starting to feel unbearable. I really didn't want more of her help. I attempted to walk on my own and almost fell down again if it wasn't for Ali who caught me at the last minute. She was surprisingly very strong and supported me with ease.

         "I don't think you can go to class. Let me drive you home if you don't want to go to the infirmary," she offered, but I was about to decline when she added, "please, it's the least I can do after knocking you over."

         I gave into the puppy eyes she was giving me and nodded my head.

         A wide grin took over her lips and her eyes lit up in delight. This girl was strange yet very optimistic. Her smile seemed almost contagious that it scared me. I, Violet Preston, was someone who rarely smiled so how come I felt the sudden urge to smile despite all the pain? There must be something obviously not right with me today. It was probably the pain in my ankle that was that caused me to be so not myself.