Chapter Fifteen - Danger

{Chapter Fifteen - Danger}

•Violet Preston•

The first thing I noticed when I walked into Mr. Alexander's classroom was that Isabelle was sitting next to Eli, laughing like whatever Eli had just told her was the funniest thing in the world.

I could help, but cringe at the sight of them. Could she be any more obvious?

"Hi, Violet." A voice caught my attention as I turned to see Mason, Isabelle's former partner standing next to me.

"I take it that we're partners now?" I asked, remembering that Aunt Serena had told me that she switched partners for me.

He nodded and I looked back at Eli who was giving me a confused look. I shrugged at him. It seemed he had no idea what was going on.

Suddenly Hayden appeared in front of us with Vanessa by his side. "Since we're suddenly switching partners, I'll work with Violet and Vanessa can work with Mason," he announced, shoving Vanessa towards Mason much to her dismay.

"What?" She looked at Hayden in outrage. "I thought we were partners!"

"Change of plans." Hayden gave her a fake smile and whisked me away to the other side of the room.

"Wow. I can't believe you just rejected Vanessa." I finally spoke as we took a seat next to the window. Vanessa was probably plotting my death at this very moment.

"What can I say?" He smirked. "I needed an excuse to get away from the leech."

"Ali would be delighted to hear that."

"Yeah, she would." He smiled proudly like a fool in love (which he was of course).

"Anyways, back to business. What's up with the whole switching partners all of a sudden?"

"I don't know," I confessed. I honestly had no idea why Aunt Serena was acting the way she was last week.

"That's alright. At least, I got away from Vanessa." He grinned in satisfaction.

I guess I was starting back at square for the winter concert with exactly two weeks left. "What song do you want to do?" I asked him.

"Anything's fine by me." He shrugged. "You sing and I'll play the guitar."

I nodded and we began brainstorming what song we should perform. However, I couldn't help, but feel disappointed that I wasn't performing with Eli anymore.

•••

I walked down the hallway; heading for my locker right after the bell had rung, signaling the end of the school day.

"Hello there, Preston." Eli leaned against my locker.

"What do you want?" I asked coldly as I lightly shoved him off my locker so that I could open it.

"Why are you so cold all of a sudden?" He eyed me. "I thought we were friends."

"We are, but..." I tried to come up with a good excuse.

"But what?"

"You know what? Never mind." I quickly put all the stuff I needed into my bag before slamming my locker close. "I have to meet up with Ali and Carly at the Lexington Cafe," I said before speed walking away.

"Wait up! I'll come too," Eli called from behind and I quickened my pace as I exited the building.

I felt my phone suddenly vibrate and yanked it out of my pocket to check a message from the anonymous sender. A shiver went down my spine as I read it, 'Your father was first and now you're next.Who could have possibly sent this? What if it was from the ski masked man who had killed my father? I shook my head as I tried to get rid of all this nonsense. No, it couldn't be. It was probably some prank from Vanessa who was mad at me for becoming partners with Hayden.