Chapter Eighteen - The Final Performance

{Chapter Eighteen - The Final Performance}

Violet Preston•

Ali rushed me into the dressing room the moment I got into school and everything was a blur from there. She ushered one of the girls who were doing makeup to do mine immediately.

"The finale is in ten minutes. I have the perfect dress for you. It's simple yet elegant. You'll love it," she said excitedly before leaving the room.

"All done," the girl who did my makeup said after barely five minutes of doing this and that to my face.

I thanked her as I examined my face. It looked pretty good even though the makeup was very minimal.

"Here." Ali entered the room and handed me a breath taking white dress. "Hurry, put it on," she urged when I just stood there, staring at the dress.

I obliged and went to change into the dress. It fit perfectly and it felt just right that I couldn't help but smile in delight.

"I love it," I gushed as I admired the dress once again.

"Well, I did make it," she stated, "but we need you on stage in three minutes." Then she dragged to one of the waiting rooms.

We spotted Eli who had his back towards us, picking up his guitar.

"I have found a replacement for Isabelle," Ali loudly said.

"Who is it?" Eli asked before turning around to us.

"Hey Eli," I waved to him as his lips twitched into a smile. I couldn't help, but smile back at him.

"Preston," he wrapped his arms around me bringing me into an embrace. "Where in the world have you been?" He whispered into my ear.

"I was-"

"Guys, now's not the time," Ali interrupted us, "you're up any minute now."

"Right," he grabbed my hand and dragged me to center stage.

Eli took a seat in the only chair on stage with his guitar in his lap. I stood on his left as someone handed me a microphone.

"What are we singing?" I asked Eli in a low voice.

"Now introducing our final performance done by Isabelle Beaumont and Elijah Desmond," the host announced as the curtains began to open. I guess nobody informed them that Isabelle was missing.

"Trust me," he mouthed before starting the strum the guitar. I immediately recognized what song he was playing. He was playing the song we had sung in the car and what we had originally planned to perform.

I opened my mouth and began singing the lyrics to 'Just Give Me a Reason' by Pink and Nate Ruess.

"Right from the start

You were a thief

You stole my heart

And I your willing victim

I let you see the parts of me

That weren't all that pretty

And with every touch you fixed them."

At one point, I turned away from the audience and looked at Eli instead who was also staring intensely at me while he played. I felt this strange connection between that I had always felt when we sang together; the feeling that everything was just right.

We got into the chorus and we sang together as one, our voices in harmony and unity.

After three minutes of bliss, the song was slowly coming to an end as we sang the last few lines.