Chapter Seventeen - The Great Escape

{Chapter Seventeen - The Great Escape}

•Violet Preston•

Once I finished packing my bags, I lugged my suitcase down the stairs since I refused help from the maids.

"Is Aunt Serena here yet?" I asked Grayson who was already waiting with his suitcase at the bottom of the stairs.

He shook his head as he stared out the window in a daze. I never understood why he was coming with me. I was the one in danger, not him.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and Grayson hurried over to open the front door. Aunt Serena and two man dressed in full tuxedos walked into the foyer.

"We must to leave as soon as possible," Serena stated as she tapped her foot impatiently.

"Miss, may I ask where you are going?" Nada asked me before shooting Grayson a glare due to the fact that he was the one who had been taking over her job of answering the front door.

I was about to tell her that I had absolutely no idea where I was going when Aunt Serena spoke for me instead.

"I'm sending them off out of the country. Mrs. Preston wanted to see them. It was very urgent," she replied sternly and Lindy nodded before giving us some privacy.

"Are we really going out of the country?" I asked Serena as we made our way out of the mansion. I haven't been out of the country, much less Harlmont for the past few years. I remembered back when dad was still alive, he used to bring our family on vacations all over the world. How I missed those days...

She shook her head. "We need people to think you and Grayson are out of the country. No one must know that you're still here. Whoever is out for you will go searching outside the country rather than in the US."

"So that means, we're not technically leaving the country?" I said, sounding very unsure of what I had just heard.

"Yes, I will be sending you to one of my mansions right outside of Harlmont over in Halidale," she replied as we all filed towards the car. "These two," she motioned to the identical looking buff men in tuxes, "are your bodyguards, Larry and Barry. They will monitor you while I stay in Harlmont."

"I've been to Halidale before," I commented as I got into the backseat of the car along with Grayson. I thought back to when Eli had kidnapped me and brought me to Halidale to apologize for pushing me into a pool. It seemed like so long ago, but I bet it surely wasn't.

"Good. I also hired you a personal teacher to keep up with your studies and I'm afraid you'll have to stay in Halidale until we figure out when it is safe for you to return."

I nodded as Barry or Larry started the car while the other occupied the passenger seat. I realized that Aunt Serena did not get in the car with us.

I quickly rolled down the window. "You're not coming?"

"I'm afraid I can't. I have a school to run while your mother is off on so called "business trips" which are not necessary," she muttered bitterly before giving me a faint smile. "Farewell Violet and Grayson, make sure you look after Violet."

"I will Mrs. Kane," Grayson replied from behind me.

Then we were off to Halidale which was a two hour drive away if I remembered correctly.

The golden gates opened and the car drove into the driveway of the one of Aunt Serena's many (and I mean many) estates.

Larry and Barry carried our luggage inside the mansion as Grayson and I took our time to the front door.