Chapter 8

Mariah

"You wanted to see me Alpha Scarlett?" I ask as I enter her office, and she looks up to give me a raised eyebrow and a smile.

"You know you don't have to call me Alpha, Marz, just Scarlett is fine when we aren't in a formal setting." She replies, and I nod.

"Of course, I suppose it's just a habit." I explain. Even if I have been a part of the Blackrose pack for a total of six months, the ways of my old pack have been deeply ingrained in me...hopefully those will fade away soon, I don't want anymore reminders of the pack I left than my memories already give me.

"Well, that's understandable, but hopefully you grow more comfortable here. Actually, I was hoping you could do something that could help with the process."

I raise an eyebrow in curiosity, contemplating what this task could be.

"What would you like me to do?"

"Well, I know you're well aware that the full moon party is coming soon, I was wondering if this year you would actually like to participate this year?" She asks, and I have to admit I'm a little thrown. I'm not much of a party person, even if it is to celebrate the packs beginning of sorts.

"I've seen that look before, don't worry, you don't have to stay for the whole thing, I was just wondering if you would like to be in charge of this years girls football team? It's girls vs. boys and I know from experience it's a lot of fun."

I mull over her offer for a moment, very tempted to actually live out my desire to play that I've had since high school.

"Sure, sounds like fun." I answer, and she grins.

"Good, I'm looking forward to seeing the girls getting payback for losing last month, and I'm sure you can help kick ass."

We both chuckle, and she seems to have a thought.

"Also, I was wondering if you would like to escort Eva and Sienna around the city, show them the sights and the best place to shop and all."

That throws me even more, and she sees my hesitation.

"I know you're not one for shopping, but I'm sure you know that since Eva is the Alpha's daughter and both girls are visiting our pack, we're responsible for their protection even if they can both take care of themselves."

I sigh and nod, knowing full well what could happen if something happens to either of them while they're in our territory, even if the two packs are on good terms. There are rough parts of this territory filled with less than pleasant people.

"Juniper is going too, since she and Sienna really hit it off. So you can think of it as more of a friendly outing than protection detail."

Junipers name grabs my attention, and suddenly my inner wolf is practically demanding I go with them, hoping that this might be an opportunity to get closer. Besides that, Juniper is a healer, which means she isn't trained for regular combat like I am, so she'll need my protection at least.

"I'll go." I answer, and Scarlett smiles almost knowingly.

"Good to hear. I think Eva is still downstairs if you would like to talk out the details."

I nod and exit the office, planning to settle plans right away. I end up finding Eva downstairs talking to Sienna, which helps with minor introductions at least. Now I won't have to track them both down.

"Eva?" I call out to grab her attention, and she turns to smile at me.

"Mariah, it's good good to run into you again! I was just talking to Sienna about inviting you to our shopping trip, you want to go?" She asks, and I sigh at the slight devious glint in her eyes...part of me already knows that she and Scarlett were both in on this.