Chapter 24

After the meeting, I told Callum I was going to see Romain and for him to help Ben get our luggage to the guest rooms. Sienna seeing my urgency to leave - alone - somehow corralled Callum into staying and helping. Quickly I reached the clinic and Romain's room. He was still sleeping, and it seemed odd standing there looking at Romain while he slept. Finally he opened his eyes.

"Eva, what are you doing here?" He questioned. Just then a beautiful girl with shoulder length hair dyed with blue and green enters the room, looking at me suspiciously but not speaking.

"You got injured. You don't think I'd go home without making sure you were ok. Devaney would never forgive me." I replied.

Romain just smiles, but the girl grunted a little then asked, "Devaney. Who's Devaney?"

"Relax Ao. Devaney is a little girl that Eva adopted from here. Her pack was wiped out six months before Eva got here. The girl never said a word until she said 'Mama" one day when Eva was visiting her." He explained. "Ao this is Eva - the girl I mentioned before. Eva this is Aoife or Ao for short. Ao is my mate. I meet her when the border was breached, by her as she was being chased by wolves. I caught her scent and got separated from the other warriors. I was protecting her when I got attacked."

Ao noticeably relaxed after the explanation.

"It's nice to meet you Eva." She smiled.

"You, too. Have you meet Devaney?"

"Not yet." She answered, so I got out my phone to show her pictures of Devaney.

"I just couldn't leave her here. She had made such progress, and I became attached to her. I came back within two weeks of me leaving and adopted her."

"I heard about Callum." Romain frowned.

"He is my mate, Romain. The fates made their decision. I won't interfere."

"Even if it isn't the right choice."

"Now you understand why i couldn't allow us to get any more serious than what we were - right?"

"I guess." He mumbled.

"I know you are thankful for Ao, and I got a second chance at having a mate. I am going to have to be grateful for it."

We visited for awhile longer, but kept the conversation light. I had no idea how much Ao knew about the impending battle and didn't want to overstep my bounds with her and Romain's relationship.

After visiting with Romain, I went to visit with Devaney and give Rin and Gryphon the good news. Devaney's speech seemed to be improving greatly.

"Mama, you're back!" Devaney yelled while running for me.

I scooped her up into my arms and hugged her tight.

"Too tight, mama." Devaney squealed.

"Sorry, Dev. I just missed you so."

"We heard the good news." Rin beamed.

"Yes, it's official - now I am Devaney's mama."

"What about this mate of yours?" Gryphon chimed in.

"He'll come around. It will just take time. We've only just marked and mated a few days ago, so all of this is new. He's probably overwhelmed." I explained. Well I hope it is just that he is overwhelmed.

"Probably." Gryphon mumbled as he turned to check on a few kids playing in the blocks.

Turning back, I take Devaney to the sitting room to talk with her some more - taking some of her favorite books with us so we can read after I give her the news.