Chapter 9

Eva POV

As much as I want to spend time with the girls - looking through racks and racks of over-priced, not-my-taste clothes, is not how I want to spend my afternoon - and by the looks of it, Mariah shares this sentiment.

"Hey, Sienna, I do like this skirt, so I'm going to buy it, however this really isn't my type of store. How about we all grab lunch and go boot shopping instead." I suggest cheerily. Sienna should know better than to try to drag me out clothes shopping, unless they have camo. Boot shopping is another story - I could spend all day looking at boots and sandals.

"Now that is the type of shopping I can handle, especially if they also have some cross training shoes - Reebok or Nike preferably - mine are wearing out." Mariah chimes in, and I can see some frustration from shopping at a clothes store ease away - a little.

"Fine! I guess you did better than most other times that I try to get you to go shopping with me. Maybe Juniper and I should have gone by ourselves." Sienna pouts, but Mariah growls slightly. Luckily I catch Sienna's attention and shake my head.

"Well of course, Juniper and I wouldn't be the only ones going. I'm sure there are others that would like to go." She starts but glances over at Mariah. "Oh, nevermind. We can decide about another shopping day later. Lets go get lunch and invade the shoe stores."

After a quick lunch at Chick-Fil-A, with me ordering my favorite Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich, Waffle Potato Fries and a Dr. Pepper, and everyone else getting chicken nuggets or a grilled chicken sandwich - we are fueled for the next segment of our shopping trip - boots, sandals and athletic shoes! Trudging through racks and racks of clothes can be murderous, but looking through aisles and aisles of shoes is heaven.

After a little bit of shopping, I see Juniper walking down an aisle by herself and decide to approach her.

"So how long have you been in the pack?" I ask, and she looks up from the shoes in front of her.

"Mom and I have been with Blackrose from the beginning. Mom and I became homeless after my father found out my mother was a witch, of course this was after I was conceived. My father's father was strict and a purist, so my mom being a witch was not accepted. My mom's human foster parents kicked her out after they found out that not only was she a witch but also pregnant. Bastards." she mumbles out the very last word.

"You're not alone, Juniper. Blackrose is a great place for you and your mom to be."

"I know. Even from the beginning, the rogue pack was my home. Alpha Scarlett brought us all into Blackrose, and this has become my permanent home."

"And you certainly a lot of good friends, especially Mariah." I imply, noticing how her cheeks tinge pink at the redhead's name.

"Yeah, she is..." She murmurs, and I shake my head with an amused chuckle.

"Come on now Juniper, I know you like her more than as a friend."

"That obvious, huh?"

"Definitely, and since it's pretty obvious that Mariah likes you too, I was wondering what was holding you two back. There certainly wouldn't be any issue with you two being together."

She bites her lip nervously as she turns her attention back to the shoes, and just as I think she isn't going to answer, she turns back to me with a conflicted expression.

"Because...I don't know if we're mates..." She admits.

"Don't you feel a mate bond? What has your wolf said about this?"

"Outside attraction, no...and my wolf hasn't said anything at all..." She hedges.

"That's odd."