Chapter Twenty-One: Tension rising and Promises Made

"So Cade Talked to me yesterday" Melina says casually as she pushes the cart down the Isle. Katie snaps out of her daydream and stares at Melina.

"What did he say?" She asks walking behind her. Melina Stretches up and grabs a can of corn from the top shelf for tonight's Shepard pie. Throwing it angrily into the cart she spins around and looks at Katie.

"He was going on about how he didn't mean to do it and how he was so sorry and how he didn't know what came over him. Blah Blah Blah long story store he fed me a bunch of Bullshit Excuses, so I smacked him in the face and told him that I wasn't the one he needed to say sorry to." She huffs, her hands balling into fists. " Told me to go fuck myself and to get a new dealer, Told him that I already had." She says and starts pushing the cart again. Katie just stands were she is, staring at Melina with her mouth open. Recovering from her shock she shakes her head and follows her friend.

"Why would you do that? You don't have to stop talking to him because of me." Melina stops abruptly in her tracks, making Katie smack into her. "What the hell?" She says rubbing her nose from where is bounced on her back. Melina turns around slowly, her eyes narrowed into poisonous slits.

"DO you Honestly think I would have anything to do with that Creep after what he did to my best friend no wait my Sister?" She hisses, leaning precariously against the Cart. And just as quickly it came her anger deflates and she sags against the cart. "Katie If he had hurt you, It's all my fault, I'm the one who introduced you, I-"

"Did you tell him to force himself onto me?"

"No But I-"

"Then STOP, This isn't your fault, You didn't know he was going to do that, He's a snake good at hiding his true nature, you were fooled by his charm, just like me." She says stepping closer to her, She wraps her arms are her best friend giving her a warm hug. Melina holds her close.

"If anything had happened to you , If he had hurt you, I'd be lost without my sister." She whispers. Her words make tears well up in eyes, her aching heart starting to repair. They hug for a little longer, each comforting the other, until obnoxious whistling and cat calls from the end of the Isle tears them apart, shattering their bonding moment. A trio of lanky teenage boys were waggling their eyes at them and giving them suggestive gestures. Katie just smiles a deadly smile at them and flips them the bird, making Melina snicker before grabbing her hand and tugging her out of the Isle to the snack foods. All seriousness of their moment vanishes from Melina's face as she sets her eyes on the junk food. "We need some snacks, Lots and lots of snacks." She states pulling food off the shelves left and right. Cookies, little bites brownies, zebra cakes, chips and dip, fruit gushers, so much junk food that Katie was getting a cavity just watching her. Before she can put a box of Oatmeal cream pies on top of the growing mound she grabs her hand, stopping her.

"Melina I think we have enough food, we got tonight's dinner and plus we need to save SOME money for the rest of the month." She says a giggle bubbling up. Melina just shrugs ans tosses the pies in the cart, pushing it toward the freezers.

"We still need gallions and gallions of Ice cream, That should take your mind off of whoever it is that has broken your heart." She says in a matter of fact way making Katie once again stop in her tracks, cursing Melina for knowing her too well. Katie thinks back to yesterday and her stolen moment with Han on the stairs, the way his hands felt around her waist, his lips moving against hers, the way he lifted her up to kiss her deeper. "Heeelllllooo Earth to Katie. You still in there babe?" Melina's voice snaps her out of her daydream, it was only then that she realized she had places her fingers on her lips, a smile telling her she was grinning like an idiot.

"Dayum girl who is this mystery man who has you smiling like this?" She asks a twinkle in her eye. Katie blushes a deep red and looks down unable to look her in the eye. She side steps her and grabs the cart, pushing it further to the Freezers.