Chapter Fifty-Seven: Race Wars Tribute

The Mazda purs under Katie's hands she she grips the steering wheel. Ahead of her Han's Nissan was speeding down the desert lane smoothly, Ahead of him was Byran's Nissan Skyline, ahead of him, Letty was in her Mazda Rx-7 one her's was a sleek shiny red, and of course Taking the lead was Dom in his and Mia's fathers blue 70 Dodge Charger R-T. That car had seen so much and had had to be rebuilt numerous times. The only time Dom ever took it for a ride was for Race Wars, the rest of the year she sat in their Garage at home where he would tinker at it.

Race Wars! She is really heading to Race Wars! She looks over at her passenger and gives Melina a giant smile. Race wars is event that Dom and Liza practically invented way back in the day. It is a place in the desert that Racers of all kinds could come out and race for money, pink slips, but most of all for the bragging rights to say they were the best. The event is almost a three day party. It use to be held in June but the heat was starting to affect drivers and party goers alike so everyone agreed to move the event to February, when the heat wasn't as intense. Suddenly Melina Shoots up in her seat, pointing up ahead. Katie follows Melina's finger to see Flags wiping in the desert wind, They were HERE! Han's car puts its blinker on signalling he was pulling over to the right and Katie follows noting that the others were already there. She sees Dom Leaning against his car and bother her and Melina quickly jump out, as the others get out of their cars at a slower rate.

"What's up why are we pulling over?" Katie asks jogging over to Dom. He waits until the others are gathered before speaking.

"OK guys I want Katie to be driving after Letty when we pull in,Bryan is that OK?" He asks. Byran nods. "OK good, now when we get there Katie follow close behind Letty , We have to get to our RV first before we get racing. After that Han will be able to direct you to where the drifters are." He says looking at Katie. She grins at him.

"Why do you want me behind Letty ?" She asks Dom laughs and gives her a smile.

"You're representing us kid, as our daughter, gotta have you up here with us." He says pulling her in for a noogy. She squeals and bats his hand away. Bryan claps her on the back before wandering over to his car, Mia just gives her a thumbs up and follows him. Dom and Letty jump into their cars and wait as Katie and Melina drive in behind Letty , taking Byran's spot. Once everyone was in position Dom takes up the lead again and speeds off down the road to Race wars. Melina looks over at Katie

"Hey you OK?" She asks softly. Katie looks at her from the corner of her eye before turning her Bright green gaze back to the road, Race Wars getting larger up head.

"Hell yeah!" She responds. She revs her engine making Bryan rev his behind her. She laughs, rolls down her window and waves at him, making him rev it again. Before she knows it the entrance to the Grounds is right up ahead, and as if on cue the Five cars split into formation, Dom at the front with Letty and Katie slightly behind, Letty on his right Katie on his left, Brian and Han taking up the rear. Being that it is Melina's first time EVER going to This her mouth is dropped wide open as she takes in everything around her. Katie snickers at her. She has been here once or twice with the family before when she was younger so the overwhelming shock didn't affect her as much. But the excitement that is thick in the air seeps into her. She will never get tired of coming here. Melina squeals with shock as the crowds part for Dom and the family, some people wooting and hollering when they recognize the car and it's driver. Some pound on the tops of Letty and Byran's cars as a way of saying welcome, A few give Han smile. Most peer into Katie's car, confusion on their faces when they don't recognize her. She just smiles back at them. Finally the family makes their way to their RV that Dom and Bryan had driven out here a few days ago. Katie kills the engine and her and Melina share a look before both jumping out of the car, waiting for the others and waiting for Dom to unlock the RV.