Chapter Fifty-Six: Survivors Guilt For Second Chances

The Crash of Thunder over head does little to startle Katie as she huddles under the covers, the blanket draw up over her head like a protective shield. A faint flash outside the blanket shield lets her know that Lightening was flashing outside, another crash of thunder following suit. The stormy weather fits Katie's mood to the point. It is three weeks after Twinkie's passing and curling up in Han's bed alternating between crying and screaming with rage was the summary of her life. Nothing the family did could tempt her out of bed. Not even Shawn and Neela leaving to go back to Tokyo to break the news to the others made her rise. Before he had left Shawn had come in and sat on the edge of the bed, trying to coax Katie into saying something, anything, even promising to find a way to get Twinkie's Beloved monster to the states for her. At the sound of Han's bedroom door opening she huddles deeper into the blankets, not wanting to deal with anyone. She hears the person walk into the room and feels the bed sag under their weight, and feels them adjust themselves onto it, letting her know that it was Han. He moves so he is sitting on his side of the bed, his upper half leaning against the head board.

"Katie I know you're awake, you need to come out of there, please angel." He says gently. She doesn't respond, instead she squeezes her eyes shut and tries not to let the ever present tears fall before opening them again. She hears him sigh and get off the bed, placing something on the bedside table two minutes before she feels him ripping the covers right off her. The sudden cold air and brightness of the bedroom lights hits her and she squealing in momentairy pain as the lights sear her eyes. She shuts them and buries her face into her pillow. Han watches as she curls in on her self, retreats more and more into her own little world and slipping farther away from him. Anger and fear rise inside him as he crawls back onto the bed. "Angel look at me! Please" he says hating the begging in his tone, but still she does nothing. His anger spikes and without thinking he grabs her by the shoulders and yanks her to face him, his heart shuddering as he sees the hollow look glazed over in her once bright eyes, now dull and unfocused. He grabs her chin and yanks her head forcing to her too at him. "Katie look at me damnit! SNAP OUT OF THIS!" He hisses. " Stop retreating, stop blocking me out, come back to me my love." He says, forgetting to care about the begging in his voice. All he gets back is her just wordlessly blinking up at him, not really seeing him. Undiluted Fear snakes through him. She is retreating farther and father into her self and he doesn't know how to reach her. "Katie baby please" He begs tears forming when she says and does nothing but stare past him, lost in her own thoughts. "DAMNIT KATIE DON'T DO THIS TO ME!" He shouts at her, a small flicker of hope spreading when she flinches, at least it is a reaction he thinks. In a last ditch desperate attempt to snap her out of her self isolation He tightens his grip on her shoulders and crushes his lips to hers, all his fear and worry and anger mixing in with the salt from his tears as he kisses her hard. At first she doesn't respond, reminding him of a lifeless statue. Suddenly as if getting shocked with electricity she jumps to attention and gasps under his lips. The feeling of Han lips on hers snaps Katie out of the dark path she was heading down making her Gasp. She flinches when she feels the pain on her shoulders where he is gripping them hard, making her whimper. At that noise Han tears his lips away, his eyes opening to peer at her, worry and hope swirling around in their dark depths. "Katie?" He whispers, his voice strained with hope. She blinks up at him, her green eyes finally focusing on him, the dark clouds in her mind clearing up, allowing her to function. Not fully in control of her actions just yet she finds herself slapping him Hard in the face. His head whips to the side, dropping his hands from her shoulders to cradle his face. He turns back to her a smirk on his face, not the least bit angry. " I thought we were past this part of our relationship" He teases making her jaw drop.

"I.. OH My GOD Han I'm so sorry I.. I don't know why I did that!" She exclaims, her cheeks flushing a bright pink. Han just smiles at her and takes her face in his hands, leaning down to place a gentle kiss on her lips that were in a small frown. She can feel his smile as he kisses her.