Chapter Thirty-Two: Broken Promises and Broken Hearts

Katie's eye lids feel heavy against her eyes as she struggles to open them, her body felt like it had been run over multiple times. Brilliant light sears into her eyes making her wince, a small groan making its way passed her lips, rustling from the side of her bed makes her turn her head, pain explodes in her left temple making her cry out, tears manage to squeeze themselves out of her closed eyes. A hand covers hers and she opens her eyes to small slits, the blurry figure of Han comes into focus, his face drawn tight with worry and relief.

"You're awake," He whispers his voice filled with undisguised relief. She opens her eyes fully and gives him a weak smile that disappears when she sees the harsh glint in his eyes. she slips her hand out of his and tries to sit up, her hurting body protesting but she ignores it with gritted teeth. Once in a sitting position She watches Han go back to sitting in the bedside chair and she studies him. There were bags under his eyes, his hair greasy and unkempt due to running his hands through it, his clothes were still the same ones that she had last seen him in. He puts his hands through his hair before leaning his elbows on his knees, staring at the floor, she clears her throat making him jump but still he doesn't look at her.

"How long-" her throat was sore and rusty making her clear it again before speaking. "How long have I been out, where am I?" She asks already knowing the answer to her second question. From the disinfectant smell, to the horrible florescent light above her, the thin papery sheet and the stiff bed with railing she knew she was in the hospital. :"Han what happened?" She says as panic creeps in, she couldn't remember how she had gotten here. Han just laughs a humorless laugh and finally looks at her.

"You don't remember?" He asks anger tinging his words making her flinch and shake her head no. He gets up and goes over to the bed, leaning on the rails so his face could be brought down close to hers. "You called me saying help, when I got home I found you face first in a pool of blood because you had hit your head on the table, You passed out because you had snorted some coke and fucking OD-ed." He hisses, "You almost died- If I hadn't gotten there when I did, you could have- you would have-" Unspeakable Pain crosses his face as he remembers finding her broken body on the floor, tears leak down his face, he couldn't finish his sentience. She lifts her hand and places it on his cheek, trying to sooth him.

" I know." She says, she knew what he was trying to say, if he hadn't gotten there when he did she would have died. The pain disappears and anger flashes in his dark eyes, he snatches her hand away and throws it back down on her chest, shocking her.

"No You don't know Katie, You can't possibly understand." He says, his voice cold and distant. He turns and sits back down in the chair, an eerie calm had settled over him, scaring her like nothing else ever had. "I'm done." He whispers looking her in the eyes. The blood drains from her face as his words sink in, NO, he couldn't mean, He didn't mean. Her eyes widen and she opens her mouth to speak

"Han you-" But he waves her away, never looking away from her eyes.

"I'm done Katie, I cant.. NO I Wont watch you throw your life away. I can't watch another person I love die." He says and gets up. Without another word He walks out of her room. Tears spiral down her face as she watches the Man she loved walk out of her life. A nurse comes in shortly to check her vitals and see how she was doing, telling her how she was lucky to be alive. Katie wanted nothing more then to huff at that, what was life without the man she loved?

The rest of the day runs around her in a blur. Dom and the others come to visit worried relief filling them and the room to the point of suffocation. Dom said he wouldn't yell at her, almost dying was all the punishment she needed, but that they were going to have a serious conversation when she was able to come home .Melina came in to See her and yelled at her for twenty minutes about how she had scared her half to death and how could she relapse, tears of love and anger spilling down her cheeks. Katie goes through the motions of soothing her and telling her how sorry she as and how she wouldn't do it again. It wasn't until that night when visitation was over did she finally break down crying. The nurses said if her stomach was feeling better she could get up and take a shower in the small bathroom. She gritted her teeth and sucking in a gasp at the pain and shuffled to the shower, luke warm water spraying over her and like that the heart break flooded through her, seizing every part of her body in huge choking sobs, her heart smashing into pieces to small she thought they would never heal again. He broke his promise she thinks miserably, he promised he would never give up on her, but at the first bad moment he leaves her. She didn't know how long she stayed curl up on the bottom of the tub sobbing into the now ice cold water, but she didn't notice, a cold had already settled into her shredded heart.