28 - Looking Forward

--Tuesday--
Yesterday we saw Fumiko off at the airport. She told us that she would visit us once she settled into her job.

In all honesty, I was going to miss her, even if near the end things started getting a little awkward. She's was my friend and despite her feelings (which I couldn't return) I wished her the best and hoped that she would forget about me soon enough.

Why did she even fall in love with me? I'm not special or anything...

Right now, I'm walking Harue to class. I wasn't going to stay like the other day because I would be getting in the way of their learning environment. So I dropped him off at the front gate of the Utsunomiya household and bow to Mr. Utsunomiya, whom stood beside the classrooms entrance. He smiled and bows back.

I go to a cafe in the area and do some of my work there. Grading papers, tests and such. I found it would be better if I stayed in the area, I didn't want to go back home and take the train and go through everything all over again.

I drink the tea I ordered and go over my work. Fifteen minutes into it, I get a call from Yamato, which almost never happens.

"Yamato?" I question.

"Hey." His voice sounded somewhat soothing over the phone. I close my eyes at the sound of it.

"...." I didn't know what to say.

"Ah, I just wanted to ask where you were at. I didn't mean to bother you..."

"No I just didn't know how to respond. I rarely use my phone here so..." I lied and then answered his question. "Oh and I'm in a cafe near the Utsunomiya household, I'm waiting for Harue to finish class..."

"Oh." He pauses. "Can I join you?" He asks he asks hesitantly.

"Sure." I'm quite surprised. Was he already missing company? Fumiko lived with him up until yesterday so I'm sure something must feel off to him.

I tell him the address and get ready to hang up but he speaks up before I do.

"I..."

"Hm?" I stop my finger from pressing the red button on my screen.

"I promised you...that I would tell you once it's over."

I drop my pen at his words as the beeping of the ended call resounds in my ear.

------------------

About twenty minutes later Yamato walks into the cafe. He was still wearing his suit from earlier and he looked worn out. I eyed him with a confused expression.

He took seat across from me and catches his breath, I just stare at him. Why was he in such a hurry? I lean in a bit close to him and make eye contact. "Are you okay?"

He glances at me and then he composes himself a bit before speaking. "Y-yeah. I just wanted to see you."

I feel a blush creeping into my face. See me?

"I need to talk to you is all, and I just figured it should be while Harue is in class."

"O-oh right..."

We decide to talk things over in a near by park. After all, what if someone from school was there? We couldn't risk anything, after all, Yamato has already gone this far in tricking the teachers.

We sit in a bench in front of the park's lake. I set my bag down and take a seat beside him I rotate my body a bit to face him. He does the same and just looks out to the sunset for a moment before starting.

"I told you about how I grew up with only my mom?" He asks me. I nod remember the day when we walked home together near late November.

"Well," he puts his hands together and looks up in remembrance. "She, never really told me anything about my dad. And she always seemed happy even though she struggled by herself with me and all. Even though my father abandoned her..."