40 - What If

"Are you sure this man is the principal?"I ask her making sure.

"Mr.Okishima right?" She asks

"Yeah...hey I'll call you back later." I say still in shock about what I just heard.

Yamato's mother, abandoned his father?

This wasn't making much sense. Why would she?

I call Fumiko back. "Hey."

"Yeah?"

"Um, did he tell you...why?"

"You mean Okishima? Why his girl left?" She mumbles to herself in thought. "He did say his family was well off, and that she was his previous student..."

"Well off...economically?"

"Yeah, he was the only heir and he had a lot going for him apparently. When he told me she left, he said that it was probably because she didn't want his family turning against him."

"When...did he get her pregnant?" I ask.

"Right after she graduated or so he says."

With the way things were timed, sure enough his family wouldn't have felt very supportive of their relationship. If anything they'd scorn her and the child she was carrying, and Okishima for being with her:

I hang up and just lie down on the couch deep in thought.

Harue walks out of our room homework in hand."Oba, can you help me?"

"Sure." I quickly sit up and gaze at his paper. "Kanji?"

He nods. "I forgot the stroke order to this one."

It was a kanji with many strokes, that I didn't even know what meaning it had.

Kanji wasn't really my strong point. I was more about understanding and speaking. I knew the most essential kanji, like street signs and such but...

"Um..well..." Japanese was my first language, and I took classes for it, but....I still wasn't very good at it.

I was at loss, but then I remembered that Kougami was next door to us.

"Hmm...." I didn't want to admit I didn't know so I just suggested Yamato, but, did I really want to see him after what Fumiko told me?

I make up my mind to set that aside and focus on Harue. So we walk over to Yamato's apartment, homework in hand.

He opens his door cautiously. "Hey guys."

It was still a bit awkward between us so as soon as we make eye contact he looks away.

"Uh...well Harue needed help with his kanji homework...and I'm not very good at Japanese so....we were wondering if you could help us out?"

I ask him politely for help, using somewhat formal language. He looks back up at me.

"Sure come in." He smiles, trying to ease the tension between us.

We step in and he tells us to take a seat on his couch. Him and Harue immediately begin the worksheet.

"Alright buddy so you know that the stroke order always begins up down, and left to right. So let's start with the first stroke, it's here-"

I watch them and can't help but notice Yamato's teaching techniques. I had never seen him teach in person, since I'm always teaching too.

He was very clear with his explanations, I think even I was learning something from him even though I wasn't making any particular effort to.

"Haruna, is your Japanese not that good?" He asks me while smirking.