ARC①:1 - Haruna

ARC1: Fall/Winter

I stood inside my newly assigned classroom in the first building of the private all-girls school: Tanabe high. It was boring and plain, just like any other room in this old school.

Now, what was so unique about my room was that it was used as a storage room at one point. Then it was just abandoned. Point is, it looked a dumpster.

I thanked god under my breath, glad to have gotten permission to check this stuff out a week before school starts because, the way it is, this room might as well be rotten.

I looked around and took out my notepad. And wrote down the remodeling I had to do.

'Um....is that fish?'

Serious cleaning.

Disinfecting.

Febreze.

'Is that a hole in the wall?'

After inspecting the classroom and finding that it actually had a chalkboard, I decided to get cleaning supplies to start cleaning.

But first I needed to find where they actually were.

I stepped out of my classroom and noticed that my neighbor's door was open. I looked inside and find a guy in a suit sitting on the large desk across from the door. He looked pretty busy but I needed to ask for some directions.

I hesitated at first, but then I thought 'Screw it'.

I casually knocked on the edge of the sliding door. Catching the young man's attention.

He looked up and looked at me oddly. "Yes?"

"Good Morning, I'm Haruna Natsume. The new English teacher...and your classroom neighbor.", I greet cheerfully while slightly bowing.

"Oh I've heard about you.", He says standing from his sea, a pleasant smile spreading across his face. "Nice to meet you. I'm Yamato Kougami. One of the physical science teachers."

"Yeah nice too meet you too.", I pause, hesitating to ask my question right after. "I know this is a sudden question coming from me right when we just met but, do you mind telling me where the cleaning supplies are?"

"Oh they're downstairs.

"Ok, thanks.", I turn and start making my way out of his class room before catching myself missing something. I turn back where I stopped and bowed,"I mean-thank you." I repeated this time, more formally than before.

In Japan, there's this whole respect concept that is socially followed by everyone. I'm supposed to be polite to my elders, or work superiors.

Mr. Kougami looks up from his work once more, "You're welcome, Ms. Natsume."

I leave and gather the supplies to start cleaning. Realizing that I'm not the only teacher that came in to prepare, I sigh a breath of relief, thinking about how I was probably the only one who got a crappy room.

I start cleaning as I blast my soft rock, hoping it was appropriate. I knew the unwritten rules, but didn't know all the unspoken rules just yet.

I close my door and immerse myself in cleaning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk home carrying a bag of stuff from the convenience store. They seriously have everything there, so I picked up some air fresheners, some stationary stuff and even my dinner. They have packed food with rice and side. It was really convenient, especially since I hadn't finished moving everything in yet.

I was also carrying a huge bag with the books I was going to use to teach my class. They were called Adventures in English Language.

Great, I'm stuck with a book whose title doesn't even make sense, it real promising.

I struggle to climb the stairs and open the door to my condo, to put down my stuff.

I had just moved in like, a week ago. My stuff arrived really fast and all at once so unpacking was a pain in the ass but I managed to get it done. Now all that was left to do was organizing things.

"You're the taste of wine~,you're a summer night~", I sing quietly as I open the door and haul my stuff inside.

I look back to see if I left anything behind. I had a gut feeling that I was forgetting something.

"Ah my mail. I forgot to check."

I put my bags down and step out of my apartment and walk downstairs to get my mail (or at least to check if I had any). It was near the entrance so I had to go all the way downstairs again, and trust me, I wasn't to energetic and enthusiastic about doing so. I was already sore enough from just cleaning.

I limp down the stairs until I arrive at my mail box. I unlock it and it reveals a postcard from California. It was a nice picture of Downtown in Sacramento.

"From your friends, the ones you left behind in the land of the free.", I read and laugh out loud. It was different here in so many ways, culturally and socially. Even though it seemed intimidating at times, I looked forward to all.

It was a good change of pace.

I make my way back up the stairs, noticing a familiar navy suit. His reddish brown hair color caught my eye and instantly triggered my memory.

"....Mr.Kougami?"

He stopped walking and turned around, giving me a funny look.

"...Miss Natsume."

I smile and bow politely, "Good evening. I didn't know you lived here...", ah yes, be awkward.

"Yeah... I haven't seen you around. Did you just move in?", He asks eyeing the postcard I held in my hand.

"Actually yes, from California, About a week ago.", I shrug, "What floor are you on Mr. Kougami?", I ask him walking towards the stairs.

"I'm on the second.", He says following behind me. He quickly catches up and we walk side by side.

"Same.", I nod at his answer. That's cool that we live on the same floor. Something bumps into my leg and I look down to find Mr. Kougami's grocery bag. It was pretty small, almost like a take out bag?

I think about it... He has to be married, obviously I mean how else was he supposed to get his job as a teacher at that high school? I thought about how low key sexist the rule was, but it was there for good reasons.

I glance at him thoughtfully as we arrive on the second floor. He senses my stare and looks my way. "What?"

"Nothing.", I stare at him again, but then look straight ahead walking towards my apartment. We stayed together the whole way there. That's when I realized our apartments were beside each other.

"Looks like we're neighbors again.", I chuckle to myself.

He gives a little laugh too, "Yeah, looks like it."

I smile one last time and unlock my door, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight.", He responds with a small smile.

"Ah, Mr.Kougami? You live with your wife right?", I ask making sure. I wanted to meet some female friends while I'm here. You know, cause I just need to.

"U-Um... Y-Yeah.", Mr.Kougami stutters as he responds."She's just away visiting her parents..."

"Oh I see.", I nod.

"Well goodnight!", He quickly shuts his door before I could say another word.

I shrug at his strange behavior and get in my apartment, and once I get inside I sigh with fatigue as a I look around my new, messy apartment.

My stuff was scattered around the room still, which I had to fix real soon. By real soon, I think maybe now...

I walk over to my fridge and admire the picture held up by a flower shaped magnet. In the photo, a cute boy that looked around 4-5 years old smiled happily. He had sandy brown hair and hazel colored eyes.

My sister's son, the boy who would start living with me tomorrow, the boy whose name is Harue, Harue Tsukino.