April Fools - 2

We waiting the emergency room's lobby impatiently. After we had arrived I talked to the lady at the reception desk, whom didn't have any news on Haruna's condition.

If only I had realized my feelings sooner.

I was confused and angry because of it. I ended up just taking out on Haruna.

We could've walked home together, I could've protected her...

This all because of me.

"Y-Yamato..." Harue called my name in a shaky voice while he clinged onto me.

I still held him in my arms comforting him and myself.

I can't be vulnerable in front of Harue...

I'm his last pillar of strength right now.

I have to be strong.

I chanted the words to myself like some sort of spell that could barely hold up.

I can't just sit here with the boy who needs her the most, and not feel somewhat...guilty.

You can't.

Not now.

All I pushed myself into thinking was that she was gonna be alright and that somehow we were gonna get through this.

Together.

---------------

We waited, and waited.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, we got an update on Haruna's condition.

"For Haruna Natsume?" The nurse calls out.

I quickly stand, with Harue still in my arms.

He was now silent.

"Please come with me..." The nurse turns and we follow behind her.

We walk until we get to the end of the long hallway.

The nurse opens the door quietly as the doctor stands beside the hospital bed, looking down at Haruna.

"Doctor..." I call out to him. He turns around with a grim look on his face. He looks away then gestures for us to come in and take a seat.

I sit with Harue and the doctor makes eye contact with me and takes a deep breath before speaking.

"I- have never dealt with a patient as severely wounded as her." He begins. "I am the most experienced out of everyone here." He nods.

"I'm afraid...I've done all I can."

My eyes widen. "So then?" I quickly ask.

"So then," he pauses.

He turns to look at Haruna whom whose pulse is weakening on the monitor. He eyes remained closed and her long brown hair was down, and it framed her now, pale face.

"So then... It's all up to her now." His eyes wander on the screen.

I stare at him for a while before l hear small sobs from Harue.

He slowly peels away from me and stares at me, searching for hope on my expression.

Hope that Haruna would live.

"Yamato..."he sniffs. "W-What n-now.."

He looked so broken. I didn't know what to say.

I didn't know what hope looked.

Because I wasn't sure if I had any.

No.

Haruna will get through this.