20 - Fumiko

When they received my gifts they looked happy. Something about their smiles made me feel satisfied.

I gave Harue the ikebana kit and upon receiving it he was elated. I was glad that he liked it, despite it symbolizing unwanted memories.

Fumiko blushed a bit and smiled. She wanted to wear her necklace on the spot.

Yamato looked surprised when he received the gloves. His expression went from confusion to acceptance, then gratitude.

They hadn't got me anything. They got harue a gift instead. I didn't really mind because, Harue's happiness was mine as well.

We ate and talked the night away. As promised, I didn't drink any alcohol. Now I just had to get through New Years...

Today is New Years day. The day before we had celebrated at home alone (Harue and I).We ate mochi and tried out Harue's new ikebana kit. It wasn't easy to make a pretty arrangement. I think even Harue had more potential than me. Every time I attempted to bend or move the branch my whole arrangement fell over. Meanwell Harue looked like he was a pro as he concentrated and carefully created a pretty piece.

I guess some people are better than others.

I brought over mochi for everyone. I carried it carefully as Harue and I walked over to Long Island.

"Happy New Year!" Haru and I greet joyfully as we come in through the door.

"Happy New Year!" they all greet me back turning their heads from the TV. They were watching some special that was announcing fortunes for the new year. It went off of astrological signs.

Mine came on next.

"....watch out for the biggest storm of your lifetime. You decide how much it damages you." the female announcer reads out loud.

"What if if the damage comes out to be bad?" the other comments.

"Well then you will have learned and will be prepared better next time."

Another storm?

We sit around and chat. Kuni offers me alchohol but of course as usual, I decline.

"It's the new year! Loosen up a bit!" Kunihiko pats my back teasingly.

"Yeah I'd like to see you drunk and crazy..." Saeki smirks slyly.

I laugh at their comments. "No thank you. I swore to myself that I wouldn't drink. And I'm sticking to it."

"Alright. We won't force you!" Yuta smiles.

"After all, she does have Harue to look after." Takao nods in approval.

We converse for a while about work and such. About new year resolutions, hopes and goals

After about 45 minutes Fumiko and Yamato also arrive.

"Happy New Year!"

They take a seat at the bar together with the rest of us.

"So what is everyone looking forward too this year?" Kunihiko asks everyone.

"Becoming famous!" Yuta shot up.

"Oh yeah you are a comedian." I nod in remembrance.

Fumiko who sat next to me wore the necklace I had gotten her. It looked nice and it truly did suit her.

Yamato wore his gloves also when he came in. Of course now they were beside him now.

I felt happy that my gifts were being put to use.