43 - My Spring (End)

We celebrated Harue's birthday at Long Island with the whole gang. We threw a small birthday party that would last all afternoon and night.

Everyone enjoyed themselves with different board games, karaoke, and watching movies. It was, very elementary, and simple but everyone, together, had fun. I take a break from the group and walk behind the counter to get some water.

I thought about Harue and how he was holding out well today, despite going to his mother's grave not long ago.

I turn to look at Harue whom was immersed into his studio ghibli anime movie, which he had received from Takao as a present.

Yuta and Akita, since they lived together, bought him a joke book and an ikebana photography album by Utsunomiya.

Ren brought in a small house plant, Haruka a professional ikebana tool kit, and Kunihiko a few character T-shirts.

Saeki had already gifted him the ikebana exhibition tickets, so he brought in a small birthday card with some balloons.

Yamato and I agreed to buy him a kimono for his future performances in ikebana. The kimono was pretty expensive, almost 400 in U.S dollars.

Obviously neither me or Yamato were making that kind of money so we decided to both buy it.

Harue hadn't opened all the presents yet, so he hasn't seen it but,

I hope he likes it.

I drink my water then I suddenly feel boney fingers poke my sides.

"Ah!" I jolt up.

"Got ya'." Yamato chuckles. "Hey, can you-"

My phone rings, interrupting his sentence.

I look down at my pocket and quickly take it out; it was Fumiko.

"Look! It's Fumi-" I turn the screen to show him with a smile.

Before I completely turn, he grabs me by the shoulders and kisses my forehead, before whispering, "Meet me on the balcony upstairs in a bit."

He grins like an idiot before walking back to his seat next to Harue.

I stand in place, still in shock, but I quickly turn my attention back to my phone, answering. "H-Hello?"

"Haruna! Pass over the phone to Harue! Please!" I laugh at her excited tone and walk over the phone to Harue.

I tap him on the shoulder quietly and show him my phone. "It's Fumi-Oba."

Harue's face brightens up and he answers. "Hello?"

I stand beside him for a while before realizing that I might be in the way for those watching the movie.

I go stand by the window, looking out the window, listening to the quiet background with the occasional sound of the TV. I close my eyes and start thinking.

This is great.

Everything so far was going great. The problem with Mr. Okishima was pretty much solved, the drama with Haruka was done with, and most importantly; Harue was happy.

Why do I feel like something is missing?

Was that...by any chance Yamato? Was he the one that was missing?

What's missing? If it's Yamato we've...

Nothing is...for certain yet.

Suddenly I feel my hand being pulled. I turn around and see Yamato pressing a finger to his lips, signaling me to remain silent. I nodded and he smiled.