30 - My Family

It's Thursday and Harue has ikebana classes to go to. I remember that I have to turn Mr.Utsunomiya down for the 'date' we had last spoken of. Honestly I was glad that it was canceled, I'd much rather go with Yamato anyways. It would have been a bit awkward and uncomfortable with Utsunomiya.

We can take Harue with us this Saturday, we can go to the zoo, or a park...

I start thinking of destinations for our date as I start feeling excited for our date.
----------------------------
I already left Haru a few hours back and now, I pick up him a lot earlier than usual, preparing myself to talk to Mr. Utsunomiya.

He walks his students out of the building. I waited and stood next to other parents who waited for their children. Harue ran to me as I began walking to Haruka.

"Good afternoon." I bow and he bows back greeting in return.

"About Saturday..." I make my expression apologetic. "I don't think I can make it." I bow. "I'm sorry Mr. Utsunomiya."

He smiles and just shakes his head to the sides. "It's fine. We'll do it some other time." His expression softens even more. "And also,"

He grabs my hand and holds it in both of his.

"I'd like for you to call me Haruka."
--------------

Harue and I get home. Yamato rushes out of his apartment as soon as he hears us unlock my door.

"..."

"Yamato? Are you okay? Why did you rush out like that?" I ask him worriedly. He literally looked like he was about to fly out or some crap.

He looks at me and then turn away. What was up with him?

I try to think of what could be wrong with him but am interrupted by his sudden request.

"Do, you think....that we could have dinner together?"

"Oh um. Yeah of course! Just come on in..." He looked a bit pale, and maybe even tired. He didn't look this way back in school.

As soon as we get our shoes off he heads over to the kitchen and slips on his apron. "I'll help." His tone evens out and he instantly looks better.

"Sure..." I look at Harue and he looks at me. Both of us posing the question, 'What's wrong with him?'

"Harue." I whisper in his ear. "Can you go play in our room for a bit? I'm going to figure out what's wrong with Yamato, ok?"

He nods, making a thumbs up and smiling. "Alright Oba. It's a plan." He trots over to the bedroom.

As soon as the coast is clear I walk over to Yamato and stand beside him. He was rinsing some vegetables quietly, looking concentrated on not so much the produce, but more so on his thoughts.

"Yamato." I call his name.

He didn't seem to hear me, or more like, he didn't realize I was calling him. Was he that deep in thought?

Was something bothering him about his father? The principal?

When he told me about his reasons to work at that specific school. I really didn't see it coming. But I suppose it's reasonable.

But now I can't see the principal the same way. I always think about how he abandoned Yamato.

"Yamato?" I whisper his name and reach my hand to take his under the running water of the faucet.

I rest it on his and he reacts immediately. He jumps a bit at my touch.

"Are you feeling alright?" I lean closer to him and look at him in the eyes.

"I'm...."

He steps back from the sink a bit wobbly. I hold him up to support him instantly.

"H-hey. Kougami..." I pull a chair back and have him take a seat. I put a hand on his forehead but he didn't have a fever.

"Are you feeling okay? You don't have a fever..."

"I...don't know."

He hung his head. I was really starting to get worried.

I kneel down and look under his locks of reddish brown hair. "Look at me."

He slowly looks up. "I don't know why I feel this way." He whispers in a worried tone.

"How do you feel?" I ask him in a gentle voice while holding his hand with both of mine. "Talk to me."

He gazes into my eyes for a brief second before he averts it.

"I feel...lonely."

"Lonely?"

"My house is so quiet now." He starts. "And it felt like I wouldn't be able to come over anymore without Fumiko to bring along with me."

"Well..."

"I don't know how to put this feeling into words but..." He covers his face. "We were like a family."

I tilt my head in confusion. Yes, we were like family, but why would he freak over it like this-

Oh.

Of course. He was scared of loosing it again.

He lost it twice: once with his father, and again when his mom passed away.

After being alone so long and then suddenly all these people come into his life, of course he'd get used to it.

He got used to family.

He got used to the happiness that came with it.

"Yamato." I say his name again and squeeze his hand tenderly.

He stood up from the chair and turned away from me. Was he crying?

"Hey...Yamato..."

"....what?"

He was probably back to his normal self.

"Look at me. Please." I ask of him again.

"...." He turned towards me slowly. He was taller than me so he looked down on me. I stared up at his eyes and reach for his face. I held it tenderly and smile.

"Harue and I, we're your family. With Fumiko gone, the family has gotten smaller, but it hasn't been broken." I reassure. "So don't worry about losing us."

"I've gotten used to having a family then." He touches my hand which rested on his cheek. "I can't go back to being alone. So will you stay with me?"

His eyes were dead serious and his voice sounded like it was searching for a certain answer.

I think that answer was mine too.

"Of course." I let go of him and spread my arms wider for a hug. "Come here."

Immediately he puts his arms around me and hugs me tight. I return the gesture and whisper. "You're my family."

A/N: Sorry I got a little caught up this week but fret not! Here is the long awaited chapter. 

The date? Find out what happens in next chapter <3.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment ;3

ALSO! I published my KBTBB Fanfic (another voltage fanfic, Kissed By The Baddest Bidder) check that out too if youre intrested :D