12 - Ondera

• Dedicated to Annie Vang

It’s been about a week since Yamato and I made the promise. We didn't drag Fumi into this because we knew that she wouldn't gain or lose, that she was only going with the flow.

Today was another normal day at school. It was 5th period and the class was working in groups to finish a project I had assigned to them.

“Natsume sensei.” Ondera comes up to me, paper in hand. “What does this mean?”

“Ah. Agonizing means to agonize or to cause pain.” I explain with a smile on my face. Ever since the groping incident Ondera had grown to like a bit more than before.

“Thank you Sensei…” She bows cheerfully and goes back to her desk.

“Sure.”

I feel as if all my problems have been resolved. It felt so liberating. The only thing that kept me a bit was the incident with Tracy. Maybe I should apologizing to her?

I don’t think so. She’s the one stuck in the past.

Aren't I too? Getting all worked up and stuff?

There is no way I can be. I wouldn't have made it this far if I was.

All my other classes run smoothly and before I know it, the day is over. I meet Yamato at the entrance as usual to go home. Of course, Harue’s school being the first stop before.

Thankfully, the promise made between us didn’t make anything awkward. It actually brought us somewhat closer, which I was relieved by.

“I might be out later to pick something up from Long Island. You should go over to our house for dinner so that Fumiko isn’t lonely.” Yamato suggests.

“Sure. I should cook for her too...Whats her favorite dish? I ask him as we approach Haru’s school.

“Hm well.” He pauses. “She likes really simple dishes like Tonkatsu.”

“Fried pork cutlet?” My eyes wide in shock. “You think thats simple?”

“Well yeah.”

“Kougami, why are you so good at cooking?” I ask him pouting a bit.

“Well…”He rubs the back of his neck. “If you want to know the truth, I grew up with a single parent and I ended up doing a lot of housework while she was gone.”

“Oh, so your mom?”

“Yeah.”

“Where does she live now?”

“....” He got a little quiet but then spoke up. “She died 2 years ago.”

“Oh…” I felt bad for asking. “Sorry…”

“It’s okay.” He smiles. “She would have liked to meet you as one of my friends.”

“I would've liked to meet her too.” If she raised such a great son she must be a great woman.

“It takes a queen to raise a king I guess…”I mumble under my breath while chuckling.

“Did you say something?”

“Nope.”

“So since I told you about her…” Yamato walks ahead and faces me. “Can you tell me about Harue’s mom?”

"Uh sure." I stutter at his unusual request. He returns to my side and we resume walking. I tilt my head in confusion. "Where do I start?"

"Hm... What was she like personality wise?"

"Hanae was a really gentle person. Oh! Kind of like Takao. The older sister type of person. Caring and considerate, always putting others before herself..."