16 - Gift

I sat across from both Fumiko and Yamato. I was nervous and anxious. I want to apologize, I really do. I look down at Harue whom sat next to me for a moment. He was my moral support and basically my reason for anything.

“F-Fumiko.” I let out. “I want to apologize for the other day….”

Her expression softens. “Ok..but can you apologize to Yamato too?”

“Er...I was getting there. I’m not even done apologizing to you.” I pout.

“Uh... ok.” She giggles.

“Anyways...I’m sorry for being ignorant and stupid back then...I-I didn’t know that I myself clung to the past, so I pushed my trust issues on you and Yamato…” I play with my thumbs nervously. “So, I’m sorry…”

“You’re 50% forgiven.” She smiles then jerking her head towards Yamato. Indicating me to talk to him next.

“...” I close my eyes and then make eye contact with Yamato. “I’m sorry I believed that you were with one of our students! I’m sorry I distrusted you! I’m sorry that I got in a fight with Fumiko because of this….” I bow down in my seat. I felt worse about Yamato than Fumi. My guilt grew more and more as each second of silenced passed.

“....Do you trust me now?”

I think about it trying to pick the correct response. “...Can I?”

“That’s up to you.” His expression looks serious. “But, let me just tell you that I wouldn’t lie to an honest person like yourself.”

I’m going to trust him.

I nod quietly averting my eyes. I’m going to give him a chance.

“I trust you both.” I place both my hands together and bring them to my face. “I’m going to trust you from now on.”

Yamato and Fumiko look at each other and then smile at both Harue and I.

“Aren’t you glad Harue?” I look beside me. “We made up!”

“Yeah!” He beams happily. “Does this mean that now we can keep eating dinner together? And- and we can go to the park together, not like last time!”

“Last time?” Fumi repeats.

“Yeah on game day she went and totally avoided you!” Yamato laughs out loud.

“Oh god. “She says in shock. “Where you that mad?”

“No! I just didn't want to be awkward!”

Our laughter resounded throughout the apartment as we spent the rest of the afternoon together.

-------------------------------------------

-Next Day-

When I walk into the classroom I see the words “Merry Christmas” and “Happy New Year” written up in different colors. I’m guessing the students wrote this up for me…

My homeroom was all day today, and it was the last day of school before winter break. I love winter and break is just a plus.

Today I wouldn't see Ondera. I felt bad because we would leave things unresolved for two weeks. It left an uneasy feeling in me I know that maybe things are better this way. I was, after all, still embarrassed about the way I acted.

What was wrong with me? Lately I had done everything wrong and it was ridiculous. Wasn’t I supposed to be an independent adult?

Suddenly, like a jump scare, all my homeroom girls pop into the classroom. “Merry Christmas!”