4 - Friend

We were going to Oto's, our neighborhood market. On the way there I decided to clear up the misunderstanding. You know, when Yamato thought Harue was my son.

"Harue... His name is Harue." We begin walking. "He's my deceased sisters son."

"I see." He pauses with a hint of hesitation. "I'm sorry for your loss."

I nod and continue looking ahead. Yamato casually walked on my right side which the street was on. He had done it to and from, he was a gentleman, well at least it seemed like it.

Kougami walks ahead and faces Harue. "Nice to meet you Haru-kun. My name is Yamato."

I look down at Harue, he held my hand and walked on my left side. He looked up shyly at Yamato."Ya....to."

Harue's steps were small and seemed a little clumsy. His sandy locks of hair fell over his face, he had long bangs that told me that maybe, they should get trimmed soon.

Silence began to take over and our walk started getting awkward, so I started a conversation. "What is a normal school day like at Tanabe? How are the girls' behavior?"

"It's pretty mellow," He says thoughtfully as if trying to find the right words to describe it."As for students, they're interested in getting into good colleges, they have their hands full with studies. So, most don't really have the time to mess around."

"I see." I respond, impressed. "Well, it is prestigious and well known."

He nods. "I've only been there for a year, and I've got to say, it really does live up to its name."

Yamato and I made small talk the rest of the way. I'm glad he isn't uptight or quiet.

"Mr.Kougami I bet you're a great teacher." I compliment him. "I heard among the teachers that you are very respected because of your ability to motivate your students." It was true, a few days back when we had our staff meeting many teachers talked about the young physical science teacher, who had the highest scoring class during midterms.

I was impressed and when I met Kougami, I didn't realize at the moment that he was the famous jewel of the science department.

Oto's was a big supermarket. As we approached it, I saw that there were rows of items sorted it out in front of the doors. One side had flowers, the other had a bulletin with specials pinned up and vegetables that were on sale. I peer at the specials, it looked like there was a lot of stuff on sale, from tableware to branded toilet paper. When we walk inside I gawk at the tidy arrangements of merchandise. It really wasn't too different from like, a regular supermarket in the US but still, something seemed peculiar and better about the Japanese one.

"Wow!" I blurted. "It's so big and organized!."

Mr.Kougami chuckles at my reaction. "You're first time in a Japanese supermarket?"

"Yea-...er yes." I forgot Kougami was my coworker for a second. I had gotten too comfortable in his presence. I had gotten a little to excited.

"Oba..." I hear a small voice from below. Harue called out to me and pointed at some flowers. Then I remembered, Harue was fond of flowers and he was around them at the orphanage.

Yet I have not a single plant at my apartment.

"Harue likes flowers?" Yamato asks Harue directly. Haru simply nodded with a slight blush.

A gentle smile takes over Kougami's face. "Why is it that you like flowers Haru-kun?"

The little boy puts his finger on his chin deep in thought. Then he flinches as if successfully finding his memory in the depths of his mind. "After mommy left, one of my sensei's told me that mommy was like a flower."