18 - Seasonal

The arrangement on the page titled Hanae was delicate and beautiful. It used pale, warm colored flowers, and the shape of the branches looked fragile. They looked like they would bend or snap if even a butterfly landed on them. Whomever arranged this was spot on.

His tears stained the page. His soft muffles, almost silent cries where the only thing he could let out.

He suppressed them the most he could.

I hug him, pulling his head under my chin. By this point I had gotten over my sisters death. She was gone and nothing could bring her back, I accepted that.

Harue was just a child and I didn't expect him to accept anything just as fast. Especially over his mother.

I pat his back trying to ease his trembling shoulders. I didn't have much to say. What would I tell him? 'Everything's gonna be okay?'

That's just a big ass lie, because nothing was going to be okay for him unless Hanae was here.

"You know, she's still here, kind of." I say clumsily. "I mean, she's watching us, and she would want you to be happy today. I mean, of course she's sad that she can't spend this, day with you but..."

"Hanae would want you to be happy...and I'm sure all of us want that too." I came out to be really repetitive but I as long as he understood what I was trying to say....

He nods weakly and resumes his quiet sobs.

For some reason I found myself having difficulty consoling Harue. I usually came up with the right thing to say.

I wonder why not today?

-----------

Harue falls asleep in my arms. I carried him over to my room and looked at the time. It had been several hours since I had woken up and Yamato was supposed to come over at 1:30. It was now 1:00.

I panic a bit but then just walk back to my closet and picked out a dress too put on. I change in the bathroom and look for my contacts. I thought I had soaked them last night as a usually did, but...

"Crap..." I mentally slap myself when I find my contacts sitting outside of their case.

The day I needed them the most too...

I shrug accept that it can't be helped and pull out my glasses from the drawer.I do my hair and makeup and then hear my buzzer go off.

I walk over to the monitor and see Yamato standing at my door.

What the heck, he's here already?

"Come in, Yamato." I press the release button and he walks off screen.

I jog over to the entrance to greet him. "Merry Christmas." I smile.

"Merry Christmas." He returns it.

As soon as the doer closes behind him he takes out two aprons from the bag he carried. One was pink and the other was blue...they were matching.

I try to hold in my laughter as he unfolds them. "Pfft-"

"What's so funny?" His cheeks glow a bit pink. "I had them around the house."

I bet it wasn't too hard to pretend to be a couple with this huh, Fumiko.

"I bet you went out of your way to buy them you liar." I break out in laughter at the image of him checking out at the store with his little aprons. The clerk must have been amused.

While I recover he throws the pink one over my head and begins tying it behind my back.

"Whatever..." He mumbles. I usually never wore an apron around the kitchen. I just get dirty and don't care, but today was a bit different. I was actually quite glad that he brought the apron because I was wearing a dress.