42 - You're Gone

I did as he asked and waited outside the school building, in front of the gate.

We were talking about his father, so what did any of it have to do with me?

It was spontaneous and confusing but, I still complied to his request.

After about 5 minutes of thinking, wondering what he was to do, he walked out together with Mr. Okishima, the principal.

Looking at them now, side by side, they somewhat resembled each other. I would never dare say that in front of Yamato though. I'm willing to bet that he's get upset.

They reach me and Mr.Okishima eyes us somewhat suspiciously. "Do you to have something to tell me?"

I look at Yamato and he speaks up looking conflicted, yet keeping up a strong, and confident demeanor.

"No." He closes his eyes. "It's only me that has to do the talking. She has nothing to do with it. She's just here...for moral support."

So this is what that was about.

"I wanted to meet you." He, Yamato, starts slowly. "Because, you're..."

"You're my father..."

Mr. Okishima stares at Yamato, wide eyed. Just for a moment before softening his expression. His wrinkles folded slightly on his somewhat tired looking face. His age was now visible and he clearly seemed like a father now.

He smiled before saying. "Somewhere where deep down... I knew it." He spoke less politely. "You greatly resembled the woman I used to love...and you told me that day..." He pauses.

"I told you what?.." Yamato asks.

"You said...something she would always say. When we first met, your parting phrase was, 'I'm sure we'll be fine. Let's be ready for whatever the future holds out for us.'"

He smiles to himself with nostalgia. "She used to always say that."

The principal goes on talking about how his situation with Yamato's mother was.

"In those days, I was a younger teacher that had just gotten employed. She was a student. Of course, although she was a student I held back. We together, though, talked about and decided that we would get married after she graduated."

He continued telling Yamato about everything I suspected was right. He said it with such a sincere expression that it looked genuine.

I quietly walk off on my own, giving both men some time alone to talk things over.

"I'm happy for you, Yamato." I say aloud to myself in a whisper as soon as I'm far away.

"It turns out you were never really alone, even though you believed to be so."

---------One Week Later

The week before had been eventful enough, seeing how Yamato had been bringing his father to Long Island a lot to bond with him.

I was happy for them. They deserved all the time in the world.

The time Yamato spent as a fatherless child would never be forgotten, much less replaced, but this new found bond that was being built, could at least, somehow make up for it.

Yamato confessed the truth about not actually having a wife to the principal, followed by an apology.

Telling him that the whole reason for it was solely to meet him. The principal wasn't angry, no, he was touched instead.

They agreed that they would say to the school and everyone else that he was getting a divorce, because there was no way someone was to react well with the fact that the principal let go of Yamato's lie so easily. It would especially not sit in well with the fact that Yamato is his son.

So for now, you can say, everyone decided to stay quiet about the whole situation.

Today, we made plans to go see Harue's mother.

We dressed up a bit more than usual and headed off.

Harue looked down at his feet the whole way there and, it was tearing my heart into shreds.

It killed me inside to see him that way. To see him so hurt, so sad.

I basically live for Harue. I gave up what I originally had to take care of him. To be his family.

He was family, yet a stranger I had never met.

Somehow, because he was my only sister's son, it felt like I had to come to Japan. I didn't know what the kid was like at all. All I knew was that he was Hanae's kid.

After coming here though, and spending several months with him, I've come to realize that, I've gotten attached to Harue.

And even before, when I felt that I had to take care of him, because he looked so vulnerable; it just doesn't compare to now.

I felt a genuine love for Harue, as if he was a child of my own.

I didn't mind it. I embraced this feeling and all it came with; worry, love and care, for Harue.

I held his little hand that seemed so fragile. So fragile, that it seemed that it would break if I gave a single squeeze.

We arrive at the cemetery after getting off the train and walking for 10 minutes. It was a big grave. The "Tsukino" grave.

Harue looked down at it with a soft expression, that looked like it was about to break down into tears.

With a small prayer in mind, I kneel down next to Harue and urge him to speak to his mother.

"Let's talk to mommy about this past year, shall we?" I myself start feeling a bit sentimental. I feel a lump in my throat start to form and try to swallow it. It painfully remains though, hurting me and making me want to cry.

He starts sniffing, but through his tears, he tries to talk.

"Momm-y." He stutters in between his broken breaths. "Haruna Oba, took me in from the orphanage, she took care of me...and I- I met Yamato, and Fumiko..."

He talked about everybody else, Saeki,Takao, Ren, Yuta, Kunihiko, Akita, Haruka and people he's met within our time together.

"Mommy, I don't think I'm alone anymore." He nods while wiping his tears with the sleeve on his arm. "I have a lot of people around me. I miss you, but I know that you wouldn't want me to cry for you."

"Oba, told me that-" He was more composed now that he took a breath of fresh air. "You wouldn't want to see me cry."

I rub his back gently trying to ease his tears. I was right. I'm pretty sure no mother wants to see their child cry.

"Hanae." I stand while hugging Harue from behind. "We will try to live a well as possible from now on and..."

I take a deep breath. "I promise to take care of Harue for you." Even if I don't think I'd ever replace her, I'll care for him in her stead.

"I'll watch over him like you watch over us. So please..."

Wish us luck, even if it's from wherever you are.

There, at her grave, we promised that Harue and I would grow with each other

Harue into an adult, and I into a better person.
-----------------

A/N: yeah.... That's their resolve. I'd say it's a good one no?

Next chapter is the last! Look forward to it :)

Thanks for reading and look out for the last chapter!

What do you think it's going to end with?

Don't forget to vote and comment <3