34 - Letting Go

Haruna's P.O.V.

I watch Yamato walk away from me.

I was pretty lost as to why he was being so, bipolar? No that's not the word.

Well he was being really confusing. It was as if he was acting on impulse or something.

I'm gonna have to talk to him about this later.

I go back to the bar and the whole time, Yamato avoids me.

"Did something happen?" Akita asks me curiously. "I mean obviously, but like what did Yamato say?"

"I don't really know. It was..." I couldn't explain because I didn't even know. Was it a warning about Haruka? I don't...

"It's kind of hard to explain." Yeah because I don't even know. "Yamato is confusing..."

"Oh." She starts giggling.

"What is it?" I lift an eyebrow at her reaction.

"Oh it's nothing." She knows something.

We sing happy birthday to Takao and stay a while longer. Yamato is the first to leave.

Without us.

-------------
Later that day, around afternoon time, Harue and I swung by the park. I know it sounds kind of silly, but I decided to consult Harue about my little argument with Yamato.

I always thought that a child's simple mindset always found the easiest ways to solve things, because they're so innocent and carefree.

Being a teacher of teenagers I realized that they are going through a phase that has already broken out of childhood and entering adulthood, where they realize that, the world isn't all sugar and spice and everything nice.

The sun was barely going down and we walked hand in hand, quietly, but comfortably.

Harue sits on the swing and I push him gently.

"Oba." He says my name calmly. "Are you and Yamato fighting?"

I freeze. This kid figured it out before I told him. Is he just a perceptive ass child, or was it really obvious that we weren't getting along?

"Hmmm. Yeah." I hesitate but then just tell him straight up. "Well, I wouldn't say fighting but, we did have a, disagreement, I guess..."

"Oh..." He cocks his head on the swing. "Hmm, but why?"

"Oh um, I guess he was warning me about someone? He was confused himself, and ended up confusing me too."

"Mm..." He nods understandably. "Maybe Yamato doesn't understand himself right now. Why don't you try talking to him tomorrow at school? Then, he might know what he's feeling."

With more clarity?

"It just sounds like Yamato was not very prepared?"

Harue struggled to explain but I think I understood.

"So you're saying that, he...didn't think of what to say before hand?"

"Yeah!" He nods enthusiastically. "Oh yeah that reminds me! One time our principal told us 'humans think, animals act'"

Yamato reminds you of an animal??

I laugh. "I suppose maybe Yamato didn't think before acting huh?"

"Yeah!"

I guess I'll just talk to him tomorrow and clear things up.

I thought some more while still swinging Harue on the swing.